Author Topic: Manchin keeps pressure on White House as last hope for Democrats to keep West Virginia blue  (Read 265 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Manchin keeps pressure on White House as last hope for Democrats to keep West Virginia blue

As Democrats seek to maintain control of the White House and their slim majority in the Senate, the Biden administration is facing some of its fiercest opposition from one of its own: West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin.

Because of their tight majority in the upper chamber, Manchin has emerged as one of the party’s most crucial holdout votes over the last two years, forcing Democrats into lengthy negotiations and compromises to get the centrist on board with their agenda. However, that delicate dance has become more precarious in the last few months — especially as Manchin has grown increasingly frustrated with the Biden administration’s climate policies.

As a result, Manchin has rebelled against his Democratic counterparts in recent months, stonewalling confirmation hearings for Richard Glick, the chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, over complaints the agency has helped to advance the Biden administration’s aggressive climate policies. The delay has left FERC without a Democratic majority, leaving the panel deadlocked until the West Virginia senator agrees to let the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee move forward.

“I’m so absolutely in disagreement with how they’re trying to promote an energy policy,” Manchin said earlier this month. “It’s just not all about, ‘All green and clean.’”

Manchin has also expressed opposition to how the Biden administration has implemented its signature Inflation Reduction Act, a milestone piece of legislation that the West Virginia senator helped pass the Senate last year. Now, Manchin is threatening to withhold support on key appointments to the Environmental Protection Agency and the Interior Department until changes are made.

The Biden administration has sought to smooth over those relations, telling reporters earlier this week that the White House is “working in good faith” to implement the law as intended by Congress.

“We’re trying to implement it based on what the Congress passed,” John Podesta, a senior Biden adviser, told reporters. ”Now, he has disagreed a little bit with some of those interpretations, but I think we are operating in good faith to get guidance out as quickly as possible.” ...........

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/manchin-pressure-white-house-as-last-hope-for-democrats
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No matter what happens elsewhere, I hope West Virginians have the good sense to flush Manchin out of office in 2024...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No matter what happens elsewhere, I hope West Virginians have the good sense to flush Manchin out of office in 2024...

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Among the Republicans vying are the deadbeat current governor Jim Justice and conservative (but arguably a carpetbagger) congressman Alex Mooney. I think there's another solid but unknown conservative in the race, as well.

Edit to add: Another conservative candidate is Chris Rose.
Chris Rose is a fourth-generation coal miner who was born and raised in the southern coalfields of Appalachia. Chris grew up in McDowell County, West Virginia, and, along with his family, lived through and witnessed the economic damage and decline from decades of governmental overreach and regulations. The War on Coal destroyed many businesses and communities, and many of Chris' family, friends, and loved ones were forced to move away from the Mountain State to seek employment. Chris and his family decided to stay and fight for West Virginia and its coal and gas industries, and that is a fight that he continues today.  ...
https://www.chrisrosewv.com/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 05:34:55 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org