Author Topic: Here’s what you need to know about NYC subway, bus fare hikes starting this weekend  (Read 431 times)

Offline Kamaji

Here’s what you need to know about NYC subway, bus fare hikes starting this weekend

By Emily Crane   
August 19, 2023

Time to cough up.

The Big Apple’s train and bus fare hikes take effect Sunday, and here is what commuters need to know about them.

Under the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s new pricing, the base cost of a subway or bus ride in the five boroughs will now set riders back $2.90 a pop starting Aug. 20 — or up 15 cents from the current $2.75.

Other fares will now cost more, too.

A seven-day pass will set riders back $34 — an increase of $1 — while a 30-day unlimited pass will now cost $132, or a hike of $5.

Express bus fares are also going up from $6.75 to $7.

The price increases, which were unanimously approved by New York’s transit board in July, mark the first time base fares have spiked in eight years.

The MTA did raise fares in 2019 but only on weekly and monthly MetroCards.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-nyc-subway-bus-fare-hikes-starting-this-weekend/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Haha, buy a bleep car, this is America. Subways are breeding ground of crime/filth. They're only worth it if there's bad parking IMO.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Gee whiz. I don't need to know anything about subway fares in NYC. You couldn't drag me there with a team of wild horses.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Haha, buy a bleep car, this is America. Subways are breeding ground of crime/filth. They're only worth it if there's bad parking IMO.

Not a realistic option if one needs to get around in NYC.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
These fair hikes will make the subway safer.
Said no one evar except maybe a NYC rat.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.