Author Topic: Maui wildfire burned ‘within 3 miles’ of a defense supercomputing data center  (Read 191 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Maui wildfire burned ‘within 3 miles’ of a defense supercomputing data center
Operated by the Air Force Research Laboratory as part of the Space Force’s nascent 15th Space Surveillance Squadron, the supercomputing center is also currently managed under contract by the University of Hawaii.
BY
BRANDI VINCENT
AUGUST 17, 2023

Though flames from the deadly wildfires that burned through Hawaii this month came within miles of the Maui High Performance Computing Center (MHPCC), that facility — notably, one of only five Department of Defense Supercomputing Resource Centers in the U.S. — remains fully operational with no physical damage to report, DefenseScoop confirmed on Thursday.

Still, it will likely be a long road to recovery in the wake of this historic natural disaster, for many members of DOD’s thriving supercomputing community on the island.

Launched in 1993, MHPCC houses multiple advanced military supercomputing assets and is a component within DOD’s High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCMP). Broadly, those key technological resources underpin research and development in fields including space domain awareness, full-spectrum cyber operations, and digital ecosystem design. The hub provides cutting-edge capabilities for teams across the DOD that perform system design, software development, research, artificial intelligence training, test and evaluation, and acquisition engineering.

Now operated by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) as part of the Space Force’s nascent 15th Space Surveillance Squadron, the center is also currently managed under contract by the University of Hawaii.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/08/17/maui-wildfire-burned-within-3-miles-of-a-defense-supercomputing-data-center/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What a coincidence Hawaii is looking for a potential arsonist, though I'm sure the two couldn't be related.  Why would someone want to burn down a supercomputer military site? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson