Author Topic: The hidden cost behind the US push for green energy  (Read 138 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The hidden cost behind the US push for green energy
« on: August 18, 2023, 10:44:32 am »

The hidden cost behind the US push for green energy
Opinion by Kaleb Alexander Robertson, opinion contributor

23h

In the U.S., climate change-related incidences have increased, showing a rise in wildfires, heatwaves, floods, poor air quality, and many more threats that are driving our push toward green energy sources. But these green sources require critical minerals to be incorporated into the technology.

A major mineral required for this technology is cobalt, which is primarily sourced from the Haut-Katanga Province in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Research by the University of Lubumbashi has shown a significantly increased risk of birth defects among the children of parents who have worked in the region’s cobalt mines.

Cobalt exposure is linked to higher cancer risks, chronic respiratory issues, and skin irritation. The Congolese government has implemented laws to regulate mining sites’ safety, but economic and political conditions limit its ability to implement regulations on all sites, according to the World Economic Forum. An international solution is needed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-hidden-cost-behind-the-us-push-for-green-energy/ar-AA1fow9A?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f6ad38149f8d449f942bea757c0e30c9&ei=24
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson