Author Topic: Today's D Brief: CNO retires sans replacement; Ukraine inches forward; Niger junta mixes messages; D  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Today's D Brief: CNO retires sans replacement; Ukraine inches forward; Niger junta mixes messages; DC Guard shakeup?; And a bit more.
BEN WATSON and BRADLEY PENISTON | AUGUST 14, 2023
THE D BRIEF NAVY CONGRESS UKRAINE RUSSIA DOMESTIC EXTREMISM AFRICA

The U.S. Navy would have a new chief today, but it won’t thanks to the continued block on officer promotions put in place by a single Republican lawmaker from Alabama: Sen. Tommy Tuberville.

Departing: Adm. Michael Gilday, who graduated from the Naval Academy in 1985, and will depart the Navy after 38 years of service.

“This is a proud day—but I want to take a moment to mark a painful milestone,” Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Monday morning at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. “More than 300 nominations for our outstanding general and flag  officers are now being held up in the United States Senate. That includes our top uniformed leaders—and our next chief of naval operations.”

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2023/08/the-d-brief-august-14-2023/389373/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson