Author Topic: JOHN DERBYSHIRE: Billions For The Taliban, Billions For Ukraine, And Billions For Illegals... But NO  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

JOHN DERBYSHIRE: Billions For The Taliban, Billions For Ukraine, And Billions For Illegals... But NO Billions For Immigration Enforcement

I’ve written two columns about the late Calvin Coolidge this month (here and here) in honor of the 100th anniversary of him being sworn in as President. Engaging with the thirtieth President again these few days, I’ve been particularly impressed by his thrift. Public thrift, that is: Every year Coolidge was in office the federal budget shrank, so that when he left the White House in 1929 it was lower by almost a third than when he’d taken office—a very unusual thing with American Presidents.

Contrast that with today, when the federal government is hosing money around as if it could just print as much as it wants to—which of course it can.

Is it money well spent? I wish I could think so. Washington Post, Thursday last week, headline: Biden asks for $20.6 billion for Ukraine as counteroffensive sputters [by Jeff Stein and Marianna Sotomayor, August 10, 2023].

Will that money be well spent in what, when hostilities started, I referred to as ”the war between the world’s two most corrupt white nations”?

https://www.alipac.us/f12/john-derbyshire-billions-taliban-billions-ukraine-billions-ill-411984/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson