Author Topic: Hurricane Hilary thread  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Hurricane Hilary thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2023, 06:58:54 pm »
I am with you on that.  :laugh:

BUT, all y'all are ready... And a cat 4 is a worry to you.

L.A. ain't ready. Their buildings ain't ready. Their people ain't ready. This is gonna suck for wherever this makes landfall. When's the last time there has been a serious cyclone at Cali's door?

I don't think L.A. will get that much rain.  Too bad, a good flood would clean out Skid Row like Hercules cleaned the Augean Stables.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2023, 07:07:22 pm »
Hurricane Hilary could dump over a year’s worth of rain on parts of the Southwest

Concern is growing Hurricane Hilary will unleash a prolific amount of flooding rainfall on the southwestern US and parts of California as it makes a rare move over the region Sunday and into early next week, triggering the first ever tropical storm watch for California.

Hilary could dump more than a year’s worth of rain in parts of three states: California, Nevada and Arizona. Because of the threat, parts of California face a rare high risk for excessive rainfall. This Level 4 of 4 threat is the first to ever be issued for this part of Southern California.

Hilary was a powerful Category 4 hurricane churning about 360 miles south of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Friday afternoon with sustained winds of 145 mph with stronger gusts, the National Hurricane Center said.

The storm underwent incredible rapid intensification Thursday into Friday, strengthening from a tropical storm to a Category 4 hurricane in just 24 hours. Hilary is forecast to remain a Category 4 as it approaches Mexico’s Baja California peninsula through Saturday.

Officials have issued hurricane and tropical storm watches and warnings for Baja California and northwest Mexico as Hilary’s center approaches the country through the weekend.

There remains a wide range of outcomes for the strongest winds in the US as the storm moves north over the next couple of days. Small deviations in the hurricane’s track could change the forecast for the most intense rain and wind.
An aerial view of damage from Hurricane Dorian on September 5, 2019, in Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas. - Hurricane Dorian lashed the Carolinas with driving rain and fierce winds as it neared the US east coast Thursday after devastating the Bahamas and killing at least 20 people.

Hilary is more likely to make landfall in Mexico and cross into California, but if it makes landfall in California as a tropical storm, it would be the first such storm to make landfall in California in nearly 84 years, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. .............

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/18/weather/hurricane-hilary-rain-flooding-forecast-friday/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2023, 07:17:52 pm »
I'm just hoping that this will be a quiet hurricane season for FL.  We could use a break.

Temps have dropped down today to 84.  Definitely some cooling off.

Get us past Setp and that'll be cool.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2023, 07:18:49 pm »
Get us past Setp and that'll be cool.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2023, 07:51:28 pm »
What was the last hurricane to hit California?
News of Hurricane Hilary barreling toward Southern California has drawn reminders of "El Cordonazo," a tropical storm that hit the state almost 84 years ago. "El Cordonazo," which made landfall in Long Beach in September 1939, is the last tropical storm recorded in California.1 hour ago

List of California hurricanes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_hurricanes

Wanna bet their building codes don't seriously address hurricanes? Earthquakes all day long... But not hurricanes...

I think this is going to be very bad...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2023, 07:53:59 pm »
I don't think L.A. will get that much rain.  Too bad, a good flood would clean out Skid Row like Hercules cleaned the Augean Stables.

:shrug:

Online libertybele

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2023, 07:57:19 pm »
Wanna bet their building codes don't seriously address hurricanes? Earthquakes all day long... But not hurricanes...

I think this is going to be very bad...

According to the article posted above -- this is going to be a serious rainmaker.  You are right; doubtful that CA is prepared.  Hopefully they have an idea what area of CA is going to be affected and have started evacuations.

Governor Newsome I'm sure is on top of things.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2023, 08:01:07 pm »

:silly:
yeah, right.  :laugh:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 08:05:33 pm »

A hurricane can't muss his hair with all that product he has in that thing.  He'll be good.  Now if a blowing sign slices his head off...that might do it.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2023, 08:09:11 pm »
A hurricane can't muss his hair with all that product he has in that thing.  He'll be good.  Now if a blowing sign slices his head off...that might do it.

It ain't  THAT the wind is blowin... it's. WHAT the wind is blowin... - Ron White

:laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2023, 08:24:39 pm »
It ain't  THAT the wind is blowin... it's. WHAT the wind is blowin... - Ron White

People tell me they sure can stand up to 120 MPH winds, but I wonder how well they can stand up to a Cadillac being blown by 120 MPH winds.  - Also Ron White
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2023, 09:09:04 pm »
People tell me they sure can stand up to 120 MPH winds, but I wonder how well they can stand up to a Cadillac being blown by 120 MPH winds.  - Also Ron White

:beer:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2023, 09:15:10 pm »
I'm just hoping that this will be a quiet hurricane season for FL.  We could use a break.

Temps have dropped down today to 84.  Definitely some cooling off.
Maybe check out this report, https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,509660.0.html if I recall he's talking near the end about the risks from all the hot water in the gulf and the Atlantic. Fortunately where I am, H.B. California they are at least for now predicting rain mostly Sunday at 2in. and winds btwn 10 and 25 mph so no big deal as long as the city has cleared all the drains. nothing like in the 90's when streets were flooded over the curb and low lying mobile home parks and housing tracts were flooded, even my home that had never had issues was flooded. Still nothing like those on the gulf or east coast face.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2023, 09:17:02 pm »

That wouldn't even slow him down, he has consistently proven he doesn't use his brain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2023, 10:19:54 pm »

That had to hurt...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2023, 10:21:16 pm »

Yep. Just like all that water isn't a problem, it's the junk floating around in it (tree trunks, small buildings, lots of boards with nails/screws in them, etc.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2023, 10:29:47 pm »
BABYLON BEE:  Deaths Caused By Hurricane Hilary To Be Labeled Suicides.
... Local authorities in Los Angeles have warned their people to board up windows, stack sandbags, and refuse to testify against the hurricane in a court of law in order to avoid being suicided. "The threat is real," warned McBeely.

At publishing time, several weather sources had confirmed that they are struggling to track the storm as their weather prediction servers were mysteriously drenched in bleach and smashed with a hammer overnight. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2023, 01:30:11 am »
Yep. Just like all that water isn't a problem, it's the junk floating around in it (tree trunks, small buildings, lots of boards with nails/screws in them, etc.)

That's right.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2023, 01:32:54 am »
We hit a record all time high of 111 yesterday.
Well since they started keeping temperature records around 1880.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2023, 06:30:08 am »
Death Valley could turn into a lake... Nothing like a 10 mile lake in the desert.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online libertybele

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2023, 05:50:13 pm »
Prayers up for our Briefers in CA, AZ -- (I'm not sure if we have any living in NV?)

Hurricane Hilary prompts historic tropical storm warning for California as Southwest braces for dangerous rain, flooding

esidents in the Southwest are bracing for “catastrophic and life-threatening flooding” as Hurricane Hilary is expected to pummel the region as a rare tropical storm beginning Saturday and lasting into next week.

The hurricane weakened from a very dangerous Category 4 to a Category 3 storm on Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center. The storm is still a major hurricane moving with maximum sustained winds of 125 miles per hour, says the center.

The storm has sped up, now moving at 16 mph, and is currently located 235 miles west of the southern tip of the Baja California Peninsula. Hilary is expected to continue to weaken as it moves north-northwestward through cooler waters toward Southern California.

The storm is moving faster than expected, which will bring the impacts into the US sooner. Flooding rain from the storm will start to arrive in the Southwest on Saturday, well in advance of Hilary’s core of stronger winds. Those winds could arrive as soon as Sunday morning, along with more prolific and dangerous rainfall, according to the National Hurricane Center.

“Hilary has sped up a bit, along with a slight shift eastward in its track. This results in Sunday morning through Sunday evening being the time frame of most impact,” the National Weather Service in San Diego said.

The threat has triggered California’s first ever tropical storm warning extending from the state’s southern border to just north of Los Angeles.

The Southwest is forecast to see heavy rainfall through early next week – with the most intense conditions on Sunday into Monday – as Hilary advances. The deluges could bring more than a year’s worth of rain to parts of California, Nevada and Arizona. ..........

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/19/weather/hurricane-hilary-california-southwest-tropical-storm-saturday/index.html

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2023, 06:30:45 pm »
The National Hurricane Center has issued its first-ever tropical storm warning for Southern California, including downtown Los Angeles
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2023, 07:01:24 pm »
Catastrophic’ flooding predicted for Mexico, Southern California as Hurricane Hilary nears landfall
By Deirdre Bardolf and
Angela Barbuti   
August 19, 2023 2:07pm

Hurricane Hilary is set to pummel Mexico’s northern Pacific coast Sunday morning before the storm hurdles north toward Southern California.

The National Hurricane Center warned of “catastrophic and life-threatening” flooding expected across Mexico’s Baja California peninsula and large swaths of southwestern United States through Monday.

The hurricane — which was downgraded to a Category 3 storm on Saturday, meaning winds of roughly 125 mph, after losing some steam overnight — has already started to dump rain on Mexico, with flash flood alerts already in effect ahead of the storm’s center, according to officials.

Mexican cities are expected to take the brunt of the storm, which is set to make landfall south of the port city of Ensenada on the Baja peninsula Sunday around 6 a.m. local time, forecasters said.

The hilly border town of Tijuana is anticipating devastation. Prone to landslides and flooding, its shacks perched on cliffs and thousands of migrants living under tarps on the streets are especially at risk.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/hurricane-could-bring-catastrophic-floods-to-mexico-socal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2023, 07:30:32 pm »
Weather Report from Castillo del Cyber....

We have had several days of light rain here, about .5 inches total.  Today looks like it will be on and off rain, overcast the whole day.  This is NOT associated with Hillary.  This is a Monsoon storm, which we expect every July-August every year.

Hilary will probably dump the most rain on the arid Central Basin in CA.  Bristol and Palm Springs have a Tropical Storm Warning.  We might not get much rain where I live in W. Arizona.  Lake Havasu, maybe.  It depends on how the storm breaks up, as the rain bands may grow quite large.  It may contribute to larger-than-usual Monsoons.

I have two full kegs of beer and lots of food on hand, so we will just sit tight here and watch the washes run.  We are in a good place where the Castle sits.  I made a big batch (69 balls) of meatballs yesterday, and Mrs. Liberty declared them "best batch ever" so I have that going for me.  Most meatballs ended up in the freezer for later dinners.
I will NOT comply.

Online DB

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2023, 07:40:15 pm »
Weather Report from Castillo del Cyber....

We have had several days of light rain here, about .5 inches total.  Today looks like it will be on and off rain, overcast the whole day.  This is NOT associated with Hillary.  This is a Monsoon storm, which we expect every July-August every year.

Hilary will probably dump the most rain on the arid Central Basin in CA.  Bristol and Palm Springs have a Tropical Storm Warning.  We might not get much rain where I live in W. Arizona.  Lake Havasu, maybe.  It depends on how the storm breaks up, as the rain bands may grow quite large.  It may contribute to larger-than-usual Monsoons.

I have two full kegs of beer and lots of food on hand, so we will just sit tight here and watch the washes run.  We are in a good place where the Castle sits.  I made a big batch (69 balls) of meatballs yesterday, and Mrs. Liberty declared them "best batch ever" so I have that going for me.  Most meatballs ended up in the freezer for later dinners.

Here in Mesa the monsoon storms have been missing us so far, they've been north, south, east and west of us... No significant rain yet. The temps have come down to the 90s which is better but the humidity is up to nearly 40%.