Author Topic: GOP sees turnout disaster without Trump  (Read 1497 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP sees turnout disaster without Trump
« on: August 14, 2023, 01:04:18 pm »
by Alexander Bolton - 08/14/23 6:00 AM ET

Republican strategists are worried that if former President Trump doesn’t secure the GOP’s presidential nomination next year, or if he is kept off the ballot because of his mounting legal problems, it could spell a voter turnout disaster for their party in 2024. 

GOP strategists say there’s growing concern that if Trump is not the nominee, many of his core supporters, who are estimated to make up 25 percent to 35 percent of the party base, “will take their ball and go home.”

“The conventional wisdom is there’s concern that if Trump’s not the nominee, his coalition will take their ball and go home,” said Matt Dole, a Republican strategist based in Ohio, where Republicans are targeting vulnerable Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown.

“Folks are interested in how that plays out, and so I think right now, they would be happy if Trump’s the nominee — in Ohio, it’s not true across the country — because then his coalition will turn out in November,” he said. 

A Pew Research Center analysis of the 2022 midterm election published last month found that higher turnout among Trump voters last year was a key factor behind Republicans winning control of the House.

The analysis found that 71 percent of voters who backed Trump participated in the midterm election, compared to 67 percent of voters who supported Biden. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4149548-gop-sees-turnout-disaster-without-trump/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: GOP sees turnout disaster without Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 01:09:10 pm »
I do agree with this article

The GOP is between a rock and a hard place. MAGA candidates representing Trump will have a hard time winning a general election. But anybody outside of Donald Trump has a tough time winning the primary.

The GOP may be in the wilderness for quite a while

Despite his cognitive issues, and despite his political troubles, Biden successfully defined “MAGA Republican” for voters in the 2022 election and staving off what was set  to become a red wave. But MAGA candidates did very well in Republican primaries.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:12:57 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 01:10:37 pm »
by Alexander Bolton - 08/14/23 6:00 AM ET

Republican strategists are worried that if former President Trump doesn’t secure the GOP’s presidential nomination next year, or if he is kept off the ballot because of his mounting legal problems, it could spell a voter turnout disaster for their party in 2024. 

GOP strategists say there’s growing concern that if Trump is not the nominee, many of his core supporters, who are estimated to make up 25 percent to 35 percent of the party base, “will take their ball and go home.”

“The conventional wisdom is there’s concern that if Trump’s not the nominee, his coalition will take their ball and go home,” said Matt Dole, a Republican strategist based in Ohio, where Republicans are targeting vulnerable Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown.

“Folks are interested in how that plays out, and so I think right now, they would be happy if Trump’s the nominee — in Ohio, it’s not true across the country — because then his coalition will turn out in November,” he said. 

A Pew Research Center analysis of the 2022 midterm election published last month found that higher turnout among Trump voters last year was a key factor behind Republicans winning control of the House.

The analysis found that 71 percent of voters who backed Trump participated in the midterm election, compared to 67 percent of voters who supported Biden. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4149548-gop-sees-turnout-disaster-without-trump/
Not to worry, Trump will win the nomination (in prison or not).  If he can shut his mouth the GOP might retain the house and possibly win the senate.  If he opens his mouth they'll lose both.  As far as the presidency, not a snowball's chance in hell.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 01:59:43 pm »
Not to worry, Trump will win the nomination (in prison or not).  If he can shut his mouth the GOP might retain the house and possibly win the senate.  If he opens his mouth they'll lose both.  As far as the presidency, not a snowball's chance in hell.

How to say "we're screwed" without saying "we're screwed".

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 02:04:54 pm »

That's possible, although as long as their CongressCritter supported Trump, I think they'll show anyway.

I also think the number that ultimately will stay home and not vote will be less than is currently believed.  If Trump is not the nominee, there will be a significant period of time between the time the actual nominee is identified, and the election. During those months, the left will be going after that nominee hard, and pushing their own agenda. I think those months will do a lot to sway voters who may have initially considered staying home.

Not sure that really means much. The party out of power traditionally gain seats during the midterms because of higher turnout.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 02:14:51 pm »
It works both ways.  Joe Biden had never won anything outside of Delaware and would have turnout problems unless Donald Trump were on the same ballot.  It was good for 81 million votes last time.  Maybe the same people will see Donald’s descent into Nero and respond by sitting on their fannies, but I doubt it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 03:41:07 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 04:28:23 pm »
 ////00000////

GOP needs to seek counseling for its unhealthy co-dependency on Trump.  Trump ain't gonna change.  He's only going to break Ronna McDaniel's heart again.

Everytime I think the GOP has hit rock bottom with Trump, they manage to find an even lower rock bottom.

The GOP doesn't learn from losing; they just double down a failure.

The GOP and Trump need to break up, so the GOP can move on.

We can steal all of Trump's good policies to lay a foundation on top of which we can build.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 10:10:35 pm »
The key in 2024 is to concentrate on attaining success in Senate and House races, since so many on the GOP side are dead set on going down in flames with Trump in the general election.  If Trump is nominated, he will be crushed in the general; if he loses the nomination, the MAGAs will walk.  Either way, Biden will be re-elected.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:13:07 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 10:16:43 pm »
The key in 2024 is to concentrate on attaining success in Senate and House races, since so many on the GOP side are dead set on going down in flames with Trump in the general election.  If Trump is nominated, he will be crushed in the general; if he loses the nomination, the MAGAs will walk.  Either way, Biden will be re-elected.

It remains to be seen of course, but I still don't think Trump will win the nomination; too much going against him.

As far as increasing the GOP majority in the House and Senate, that is imperative.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 10:23:15 pm »
 ////00000////

... unless Trump meddles with House and Senate GOP Primaries again.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 11:07:14 pm »
LMAO grimaces:
"The GOP is between a rock and a hard place. MAGA candidates representing Trump will have a hard time winning a general election"

The solution is simple.
Vote for them.
(that is all, nothing follows)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 11:48:20 pm »

No GOP candidate climbing on the political grave of Donald Trump will reach the White House.

A reckoning for the eight years of relentless government sponsored torture and lawfare persecution of all of MAGA will be had.  The preference is the return of Donald Trump to the White House to finish his mission while returning the US to peace, prosperity and strength.

Denied this, MAGA "taking their ball and going home" is not a guarantee.  Without Trump on the ticket, showing up to vote the Republican/Conservative Party into the dustbin of history becomes the acceptable Plan B reckoning.  MAGA is past allegiance to and faith in a political party filled with Totalitarian co-conspirators.

That is all.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 11:57:21 pm »
No GOP candidate climbing on the political grave of Donald Trump will reach the White House.

A reckoning for the eight years of relentless government sponsored torture and lawfare persecution of all of MAGA will be had.  The preference is the return of Donald Trump to the White House to finish his mission while returning the US to peace, prosperity and strength.

Denied this, MAGA "taking their ball and going home" is not a guarantee.  Without Trump on the ticket, showing up to vote the Republican/Conservative Party into the dustbin of history becomes the acceptable Plan B reckoning.  MAGA is past allegiance to and faith in a political party filled with Totalitarian co-conspirators.

That is all.

The election is over a year away.  Lot's can happen.  The concern for me is what the leftists will do to ensure that Trump can't run. I don't like that decision made for me. 

As far as other GOP candidates winning the WH or the nomination -- again, it's way too early to tell.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 01:04:43 am »

That is all.
Your guy is being indicted again probably within the hour.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 01:08:29 am »

That is all.

And that, dear members, is what a cult of personality looks like.  That is the raving of a card-carrying member of the Cult of Donald Trump.  That way lies danger; just one more reason to turn Trump out.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 01:52:17 am »

And that, dear members, is what a cult of personality looks like.  That is the raving of a card-carrying member of the Cult of Donald Trump.  That way lies danger; just one more reason to turn Trump out.

:thumbsup:

The hilarious irony of someone who claims to support Trump acting in a way that has the opposite effect. 

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 02:43:55 am »

And that, dear members, is what a cult of personality looks like.  That is the raving of a card-carrying member of the Cult of Donald Trump.

No, dear @Kamaji  That is what courage and standing with the heroes of the American Revolution against totalitarian control look like ---- both foreign concepts in your hate-driven world of surrender.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2023, 05:29:15 am »
The analysis found that 71 percent of voters who backed Trump participated in the midterm election, compared to 67 percent of voters who supported Biden

So with Trump on the ballot in 2024, we should expect a Democrat turnout 50% higher than in 2022.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2023, 10:00:36 am »

That is all.

Well then, enjoy Democrat rule since Trump's going to jail, one way or the other, and will not be elected again in 2024.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2023, 03:24:20 pm »

Really ... ultra MAGA has moved on to next level drama?  You already bought a pallet load of kool-aid, so why not stick with that plan.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2023, 05:19:57 pm »
Well then, enjoy Democrat rule since Trump's going to jail, one way or the other, and will not be elected again in 2024.

You appear to be trapped in a time warp. The "who else are you going to vote for" days are over. That thinking is what brought us to this point in our history. We surrendered the power of our vote to the "lesser of two evils" fallacy. No more.

This is about a return to peace, prosperity, freedom and strength. AND, it’s about uprooting a deep administrative state that has grown into a monster totalitarian Uniparty.

If the Totalitarians among us are successful in stopping Trump from running, the Republic is done.

The only chance of rebuilding will be to crush the Republican Party -— from top to bottom -— and clear the way for a true opposition party.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 05:23:59 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2023, 08:14:52 pm »
You appear to be trapped in a time warp. The "who else are you going to vote for" days are over. That thinking is what brought us to this point in our history. We surrendered the power of our vote to the "lesser of two evils" fallacy. No more.

This is about a return to peace, prosperity, freedom and strength. AND, it’s about uprooting a deep administrative state that has grown into a monster totalitarian Uniparty.

If the Totalitarians among us are successful in stopping Trump from running, the Republic is done.

The only chance of rebuilding will be to crush the Republican Party -— from top to bottom -— and clear the way for a true opposition party.
Funny how the Democrats somehow have existed since Jefferson yet the Federalists, Whigs and Republicans all have been crushed. As if we're really a one-party state all along.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2023, 08:27:57 pm »

You forgot the Disclaimer, RiV

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2023, 08:51:05 pm »

... Based in populism of course. A fart in a teapot.