Author Topic: EM-DAT: The International Disaster Database  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EM-DAT: The International Disaster Database
« on: August 13, 2023, 10:05:09 am »
EM-DAT:  The International Disaster Database
16 hours ago 
Brief Note by Kip Hansen — 2 August 2023

There have been quite a few media and blog-based articles talking about disasters. (See Pielke Jr. here and here)  Are they increasing worldwide or are they declining?  Are there more or fewer weather-related, climate-related disasters?

The go-to source for statistics on worldwide disasters for (nearly) everyone is EM-DAT – The International Disaster Database.  For years, the UN, IPCC and the climate-crisis-complicit mass media used the database just as presented at Our World in Data:

This version led to the wild claims that disasters had quadrupled or quintupled since the 1970s.  There was a problem with that view, of course – it was not true in the real world, only in the pretty-picture graph.  In 2019, I investigated this and an email exchange with Regina Below, Database Manager and Documentalist at CRED/EM-DAT, revealed:

I asked:  “My guess would be that 1970 to 1998 represents an increase in REPORTING and not in actual Natural Disasters. Can you confirm this please — or correct me if I am wrong.“

Regina Below replied: “ You are right, it is an increase in the reporting”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/08/12/em-dat-the-international-disaster-database/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson