Author Topic: US Navy sailor accused of selling documents to China was encouraged by mother: feds  (Read 153 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Navy sailor accused of selling documents to China was encouraged by mother: feds
By Caitlin Doornbos
August 9, 2023 3:55pm  Updated

WASHINGTON – Thanks, mom.

A China-born US Navy sailor accused of selling sensitive ship information to the Chinese government was denied bail on Tuesday after prosecutors said his mother encouraged him to participate in the scheme.

Jinchao Wei, 22, faces four charges in San Diego federal court related to his alleged deal with an unnamed Chinese military intelligence officer to provide “documents, sketches, plans, notes and information” in exchange for cold, hard cash.

The officer asked Wei in February 2022 to work as an informant as he was applying to become a naturalized citizen.

Despite knowing it could threaten his chances, Wei ultimately agreed to the arrangement, prosecutors said in the Tuesday detention hearing.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/09/sailor-accused-of-selling-documents-to-china-encouraged-by-mother-us/?utm_campaign=nypost&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 03:00:21 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson