Author Topic: Geoengineering: Can we dim the sun to avoid climate tipping points?  (Read 256 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Geoengineering: Can we dim the sun to avoid climate tipping points?
Story by Chrissy Sexton •
16h

Could dimming the sun's intensity be a potential solution to halting the melting of the West Antarctic ice sheet? A team of researchers from the University of Bern has recently explored this question.

Geoengineering is an intentional and large-scale intervention in the Earth's climate system which has been a controversial topic in climate discussions. Some scientists hope to artificially manipulate the climate in order to cool it.

However, the concept of geoengineering is met with enormous skepticism among experts who believe that the unpredictable outcomes are far too risky.

The latest research was led by Johannes Sutter from the Climate and Environmental Physics Division (KUP) at the University of Bern. The results are published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/geoengineering-can-we-dim-the-sun-to-avoid-climate-tipping-points/ar-AA1f9PSU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=dcd6e07ecb344cd581835b829d0ffcb9&ei=48
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Geoengineering: Can we dim the sun to avoid climate tipping points?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 10:18:26 am »
 :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Geoengineering: Can we dim the sun to avoid climate tipping points?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 10:36:48 am »
Just because you can do something, does not mean it is a good idea.

Without such intervention, the Earth has maintained temperatures within a fairly close range.

Putting a finger on that scale might well tip it in a direction far more hostile to life than its present course, and may well be irreversible within the time it would take for humans (not to mention other species) to survive that recovery. Continuing to abdicate the energy forms which might enable humans to survive, and possibly reverse overdoing such a 'cooling' remedy,virtually guarantees extinction.

Of course, some of the people advocating such 'remedies' for the effects of natural cycles think humans are a virus on the planet that should be eliminated. Others apparently just want fewer humans so they can live it up.  I don't think they can keep their little lifeboats going by themselves.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis