Author Topic: SSGT. STEVEN T. SMILEY IS NOW BEFORE A GENERAL COURT MARTIAL – BRIGADIER GEN. WALKER M. FIELD TARGET  (Read 197 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SSGT. STEVEN T. SMILEY IS NOW BEFORE A GENERAL COURT MARTIAL – BRIGADIER GEN. WALKER M. FIELD TARGETED SSGT. SMILEY FOR PUNISHMENT CONCERNING THE DEATH OF A RECRUIT. AUTOPSY REVEALED CAUSE-OF-DEATH WAS DUE TO A PREEXISTING CONDITION.
July 24, 2023 Admin

Brigadier General Walker M. Field and Senior Drill Instructor, Staff Sergeant Steven T. Smiley. The bus driver and his road kill.
UPDATE: 7-30-2023

The jury handed down their decision with a finding of not guilty on all counts except the disobeying of orders prohibiting Marine drill instructors from calling people bad names. When we were in officer candidate school, I wish I had a nickel for each time the drill instructor called one of us a bad name starting with the word maggot.

Any conviction at a general court martial is a felony conviction. Consequently, SSgt. Steven T. Smiley is now a convicted felon for calling recruits bad names. The jury handed down no punishment, which means no Dishonorable Discharge. Convening authority, Brigadier General Walker M. Field, still has cards up his sleeve.

BG Field will most likely convene an administrative board, like a BOI (Board of Inquiry) so that under-the-color-of-law he can bestow upon SSgt. Smiley an OTH (Other-than-Honorable) Discharge. But, what if the officers he chooses for the BOI are independent thinkers failing to get the message the BG wants Smiley gone. What if the BOI officers fail to provide the OTH the general wanted? What then?

https://militarycorruption.com/steven-smiley/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This is interesting.  One reason to have appointed a General Court Martial is to deflect criticism that the Marine Corps was not taking the death of a recruit seriously.  An acquittal may provide the cover necessary if the command does not wish to further prosecute SSgt. Smiley.

Of course, the general may be an ass clown who will continue trying to persecute Smiley even after this verdict.  But the jury on the general court-martial found him not guilty, and imposed no punishment.  An administrative board may well do the same. 

If that happens, the general can try to get him out on an OTC, but I'm skeptical on that because he could be overruled.