Author Topic: Looking South: A Conversation with GEN Laura Richardson on Security Challenges in Latin America  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Looking South: A Conversation with GEN Laura Richardson on Security Challenges in Latin America

This transcript is from a CSIS event hosted on August 4, 2023. Watch the full video here.

Dr. Kathleen McInnis: Central and South America is, arguably, a decisive region in today’s strategic competitions with authoritarian actors. For example, the People’s Republic of China is doing things like investing in critical infrastructure across the region, including strategically useful ports, as well as cyber and space facilities that could be used by Beijing’s civilian and military agencies. Russia continues its supports of authoritarian and malign actors across the region, including through disinformation campaigns. And those are only part of the strategic challenges to the United States that are emanating from that region. Migration, transnational criminal organizations, illegal fishing – all of these are on the agenda of United States Southern Command.

I’m Dr. Kathleen McInnis, the director of the Smart Women, Smart Power Initiative, and my colleague – I’m joined by my colleague Kari Bingen, the director of the Aerospace Security Project at CSIS. And we are delighted to welcome General Laura Richardson, the commander of United States Southern Command, to CSIS today to talk about her perspective on what’s happening down south.

Kari.

Kari A. Bingen: General Richardson is an Army aviator, flying Blackhawk helicopters. She’s trained soldiers. She’s deployed into Iraq and Afghanistan in combat. She’s seen policymaking at the highest levels of the White House and understands the role of Congress. I was fortunate to meet her first while she was in the key role of legislative liaison, where she built relationships with members of Congress to establish policy and, importantly, fund the Army. And I also got to meet her again during her deployment to Afghanistan, where I saw her lead in a very complex and challenging security environment. So I can think of no better leader than General Richardson to tackle these tough issues and strengthen our relationships in the region. It really is a privilege to have you today.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/looking-south-conversation-gen-laura-richardson-security-challenges-latin-america
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson