Author Topic: New Paper: No Change Or Uptick In 21st-Century Global Disasters  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY ROGER PIELKE JR. ON AUG 10, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

New Paper: No Change Or Uptick In 21st-Century Global Disasters

A new peer-reviewed paper out this week by Alimonti and Mariani asks whether global disasters have increased.

Their answer is that they are not (and if the name sounds familiar, it is the same Alimonti whose paper is being improperly retracted — more fresh info on that in the coming days). [emphasis, links added]

As I read their paper today I noticed that the time series they reported from the EM-DAT database looked a bit different than that I had last explored and presented here at THB late last year.

So today I downloaded the most recent data from EM-DAT, and indeed there have been some changes to the most recent three years, presumably due to late entries into the database (however I will enquire as all posthoc dataset updates should be documented).

https://climatechangedispatch.com/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson