Author Topic: Fighting with lasers: Army to experiment with 50kw laser combined with kinetic air defenses  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fighting with lasers: Army to experiment with 50kw laser combined with kinetic air defenses

“What we don't know yet from directed energy systems, necessarily, is... how to fight [with] lasers on the battlefield, how to integrate kinetic and non-kinetic effectors,” said Lt. Gen. Robert Rasch.
By   ASHLEY ROQUE
on August 09, 2023 at 2:33 PM
DE MSHORAD
The Army is now working to revamp its DE M-SHORAD prototype. (US Army)

SMD SYMPOSIUM — After the Army receives its fourth and final Stryker-based 50-kilowatt laser prototype next month, soldiers will start to figure out how to use it in combat alongside traditional kinetic weapons, while acquisition officials sort through lethality, affordability and reliability questions, according to a three-star general.

“What we don’t know yet from directed energy systems, necessarily, is… how to fight [with] lasers on the battlefield, how to integrate kinetic and non-kinetic effectors like directed energy and our traditional air defense missiles into the battlespace,” Lt. Gen. Robert Rasch, the director of the Army’s Rapid Capabilities and Critical Technologies Office (RCCTO), told an audience in Huntsville, Ala. today.

Rasch and his team are tasked with overseeing the development of three directed energy programs including Raytheon’s (RTX) work on the Styker-based Directed Energy Maneuver Short-Range Air Defense system, or DE M-SHORAD, to down class 1 to 3 aerial drones and incoming rockets, artillery and mortars. So far, the company has delivered three prototypes to the Army, and the service anticipates receiving the fourth one in September.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/fighting-with-lasers-army-to-experiment-with-50kw-laser-combined-with-kinetic-air-defenses/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson