Author Topic: Wildfires burning across Maui prompt evacuations  (Read 15888 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Wildfires burning across Maui prompt evacuations
« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2023, 07:28:23 pm »
I just want to see how many "conspiracy theories" get verified.

(Not holding my breath on the DEW one, I never held with that).

There's plenty more others, mostly wrapped around a central belief in a land grab.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2023, 07:39:28 pm »
I just want to see how many "conspiracy theories" get verified.

(Not holding my breath on the DEW one, I never held with that).

There's plenty more others, mostly wrapped around a central belief in a land grab.

Probably going to be a lot of comments on land-grabs, especially regarding the property survivors who've lost everything.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2023, 07:46:18 pm »
Probably going to be a lot of comments on land-grabs, especially regarding the property survivors who've lost everything.
Or those who died...whose land might be taken for taxes, if the heir(s) can't be found.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2023, 08:22:55 pm »
Or those who died...whose land might be taken for taxes, if the heir(s) can't be found.

Thought about that, but who'd be in a position to even conspire to create false notarized documents to create liens on said properties?

...and clever enough to get away with it??   happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2023, 08:42:10 pm »
Thought about that, but who'd be in a position to even conspire to create false notarized documents to create liens on said properties?

The tax assessor would be enough. Auction on the courthouse steps.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2023, 08:43:41 pm »

Her initials are "Oprah Winfrey."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2023, 08:51:26 pm »

I'll take Who is that rich, supposedly Hawaiian, homeboy for a $1000, Alex.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2023, 10:40:10 pm »

From what I hear, a lot of that property is treated like it is on the rez... just handed down. who knows the last time the paper was figgered out... Natives don't worry that sort of thing... Everybody just knows.

Online DB

« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2023, 01:00:34 am »
Just watched part 1 of the O'Keefe videos.  It was a whole lot of nothing.

Quick summary?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2023, 04:27:42 am »
From what I hear, a lot of that property is treated like it is on the rez... just handed down. who knows the last time the paper was figgered out... Natives don't worry that sort of thing... Everybody just knows.
Yeah. It's the trust lands that get muddled up with the BIA in there.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2023, 02:16:52 pm »
Here's the Recent Development Concerning the Death Toll From the Maui Wildfires
Matt Vespa

Does anyone remember the Maui wildfires? It remains one of the worst wildfires in American history. It’s the one where Joe Biden did not comment about the rising death toll because he was too busy enjoying the beach. The man took two vacations before his little visit to the island two weeks after the blaze killed nearly 100 people and caused at least $6 billion in damages. The fires broke out on August 8, destroying entire communities; Joe arrived two weeks later.

There’s a new development in the death toll. It’s been revised down, from 115 to 97. It’s still tragic, but the island’s medical examiner had some remarks that are indelicate in print (via NYT):

The authorities announced on Friday that they currently believe 97 people died in the Maui wildfire instead of the 115 fatalities they had been reporting for weeks, a surprising development after initial fears that many more lives had been lost in the disaster.

Dr. Jeremy Stuelpnagel, the medical examiner for Maui County, said in a news conference that the process of confirming dead victims and identifying them through DNA analysis had been difficult and changing ever since the fire on Aug. 8 that destroyed most of Lahaina.

It is the first time that the Maui death toll has dropped. In some instances, Dr. Stuelpnagel explained, forensic examiners have determined that they had multiple sets of remains for the same person. He also said that 16 of the remains that investigators had received were nonhuman.

“It’s good news to have a lower number, that’s for darn sure,” Dr. Stuelpnagel said on Friday.

For more than three weeks, officials said that at least 115 people died, a number that held firm even as hundreds were said to be missing and investigators kept combing through the ruins of central Lahaina.

[…]

But the number of people unaccounted for has now fallen to 31, John Pelletier, the chief of the Maui Police Department, said on Friday. After publishing multiple versions of lists with names of people thought to be missing, the authorities have located most of the individuals.

Identifying the dead has been a massive undertaking that has drawn out for more than a month, requiring DNA samples from family, dental experts and dealing with remains that are burned beyond recognition.

Dr. Stuelpnagel said there were cases where they had the remains of someone, but later found bones with the same DNA.

He also said there were 16 cases that were nonhuman, “mixed in with the other people who have come through, so there’s lots and lots of moving bits of information in this situation.”

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2023/09/16/heres-the-recent-development-concerning-the-death-toll-from-the-maui-wildfires-n2628526
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2023, 10:22:05 pm »
Her initials are "Oprah Winfrey."

@Cyber Liberty

You SERIOUSLY think that  Orca is smart enough to  do  that?

BTW,HTH  is a fire on an island  STILL burning  after  all this  time,and not  ran out of stuff to burn?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2023, 10:26:24 pm »
Here's the Recent Development Concerning the Death Toll From the Maui Wildfires
Matt Vespa

Does anyone remember the Maui wildfires? It remains one of the worst wildfires in American history. It’s the one where Joe Biden did not comment about the rising death toll because he was too busy enjoying the beach. The man took two vacations before his little visit to the island two weeks after the blaze killed nearly 100 people and caused at least $6 billion in damages. The fires broke out on August 8, destroying entire communities; Joe arrived two weeks later.

There’s a new development in the death toll. It’s been revised down, from 115 to 97. It’s still tragic, but the island’s medical examiner had some remarks that are indelicate in print (via NYT):

The authorities announced on Friday that they currently believe 97 people died in the Maui wildfire instead of the 115 fatalities they had been reporting for weeks, a surprising development after initial fears that many more lives had been lost in the disaster.

Dr. Jeremy Stuelpnagel, the medical examiner for Maui County, said in a news conference that the process of confirming dead victims and identifying them through DNA analysis had been difficult and changing ever since the fire on Aug. 8 that destroyed most of Lahaina.

It is the first time that the Maui death toll has dropped. In some instances, Dr. Stuelpnagel explained, forensic examiners have determined that they had multiple sets of remains for the same person. He also said that 16 of the remains that investigators had received were nonhuman.

“It’s good news to have a lower number, that’s for darn sure,” Dr. Stuelpnagel said on Friday.

For more than three weeks, officials said that at least 115 people died, a number that held firm even as hundreds were said to be missing and investigators kept combing through the ruins of central Lahaina.

[…]

But the number of people unaccounted for has now fallen to 31, John Pelletier, the chief of the Maui Police Department, said on Friday. After publishing multiple versions of lists with names of people thought to be missing, the authorities have located most of the individuals.

Identifying the dead has been a massive undertaking that has drawn out for more than a month, requiring DNA samples from family, dental experts and dealing with remains that are burned beyond recognition.

Dr. Stuelpnagel said there were cases where they had the remains of someone, but later found bones with the same DNA.

He also said there were 16 cases that were nonhuman, “mixed in with the other people who have come through, so there’s lots and lots of moving bits of information in this situation.”

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2023/09/16/heres-the-recent-development-concerning-the-death-toll-from-the-maui-wildfires-n2628526
I fully anticipated the death toll would be reduced, if only in the 'incoming' statistics, when the number of remains stalled. As if any were okay, or the reduction in numbers somehow mitigates the indications that this was preventable had the entire situation not been handled badly from even before the fire.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2024, 11:52:44 pm »
UPDATE Jan. 22, 2024
Nick Sortor
@nicksortor
Aloha from Maui, where the great people of the island are STILL being shafted by the government—and they're FED UP.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, and we’re going to put this story back in the news cycle.

⚠️ Residents are STILL being prevented from visiting their properties
⚠️ The town is STILL fortified
⚠️ Toxic waste is being placed on the hillside directly above the town
⚠️ Most are receiving practically ZERO AID

The government is literally trying to FORCE these people to move off the island, and in many cases, IT’S WORKING. And on top of all that, NOBODY IS BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

The fires happened over 5 months ago, and the lack of support residents are receiving is INFURIATING.

I’ll be working here on the ground with community members to expose the corrupt coverup that’s underway.

STAY TUNED.

6:19 PM · Jan 22, 2024  from Lahaina, HI
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2024, 12:49:02 am »
I appreciate the updates on this as well of other stories that you give. @mountaineer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2024, 02:56:14 am »
Thank you, @berdie  - It's the old newspaper reporter in me that wants to follow up on a story and let people know what's been happening.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2024, 02:59:32 am »
Thank you, @berdie  - It's the old newspaper reporter in me that wants to follow up on a story and let people know what's been happening.

Thank goodness for that! I'd have forgotten all about these poor folks without your dogged reporting. It would be clean out of my mind. I am glad it's not. Even though there's not a dang thing I can do about it.

Still, the witness is of utmost importance.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2024, 11:45:21 pm »
UPDATE Feb. 5, 2024

Maui seems to have turned into East Palestine, Ohio.

Maui County is REFUSING to let residents who lost their homes in the fire to clear their own property—let alone rebuild. The government is only letting THEIR contractors into the burn zone to clean up.

https://twitter.com/nicksortor/status/1754627473348899021

Offline berdie

« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2024, 12:09:19 am »
UPDATE Feb. 5, 2024

Maui seems to have turned into East Palestine, Ohio.

Maui County is REFUSING to let residents who lost their homes in the fire to clear their own property—let alone rebuild. The government is only letting THEIR contractors into the burn zone to clean up.

https://twitter.com/nicksortor/status/1754627473348899021

That is just wrong on so many levels.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2024, 12:15:53 am »

That is just wrong on so many levels.

@berdie

Normally we would be saying that this is happening because the local real estate industry and bribed the city to do this so they could buy up acreage cheap to sell high down the road,but there ain't no such  critter as "cheap land" in Hawaii.

Maybe the Uber Wealthy just want larger estates,and the only  way  to get them it to buy condemned land?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2024, 11:19:02 am »
@berdie

Normally we would be saying that this is happening because the local real estate industry and bribed the city to do this so they could buy up acreage cheap to sell high down the road,but there ain't no such  critter as "cheap land" in Hawaii.

Maybe the Uber Wealthy just want larger estates,and the only  way  to get them it to buy condemned land?
Two things: anything of intrinsic value (precious metals, even melted down have value) will not be recovered by residents, nor will anything they may have decided to hide in a flowerbed or the back yard...

When the approved cleanup is done, the owners will be presented with the tab. Such tabs tend to be creatively billed, with all the expense that implies. Don't pay the tab? then there is a lien against your property....

All part of the land grab.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2024, 01:20:33 pm »
Two things: anything of intrinsic value (precious metals, even melted down have value) will not be recovered by residents, nor will anything they may have decided to hide in a flowerbed or the back yard...

When the approved cleanup is done, the owners will be presented with the tab. Such tabs tend to be creatively billed, with all the expense that implies. Don't pay the tab? then there is a lien against your property....

All part of the land grab.

@Smokin Joe

Sadly,you are right

Seems like it is always the  worse part of human nature that  ends  up  "running the show",instead of the kinder and gentler part.