Author Topic: Andy Ngo v. Antifa: The Jury Has Reached a Verdict and It's Causing an Uproar  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Kamaji

Andy Ngo v. Antifa:  The Jury Has Reached a Verdict and It's Causing an Uproar

Mia Cathell
August 09, 2023

At the conclusion of journalist Andy Ngo's multi-day civil trial against Rose City Antifa, whose far-left militant members brutally beat the investigative reporter when he went undercover to expose Antifa's extremist activities on the riot-torn streets of Portland, a 12-person jury reached a verdict in the case Tuesday evening, reportedly finding both of the defendants not liable for all claims.

The Post Millennial's senior editor—represented by attorney Harmeet Dhillon's nonprofit Center for American Liberty—sought almost $1 million in damages in a lawsuit accusing the co-defendants of assault, battery, theft, and intentional infliction of emotional distress over a series of violent Antifa attacks beginning in 2019, when Ngo was hospitalized for a brain hemorrhage.

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1686080791640788993

In closing statements, defense counsel Michelle Burrows told the jurors that not only does she self-identify as an "anti-fascist," she strongly declared, "I am Antifa," and insisted upon making herself an "I am Antifa" t-shirt, which the activist attorney said she would wear after the trial. In spite of Antifa's well-documented history of violence, Burrows told the jury that Antifa's unfavorable reputation is untrue and depicted the organized militants as activists fighting for social justice and civil rights. "Resistance in this country has never been peaceful," Burrows argued in defense of Antifa, admitting that Ngo's tormenters were, in fact, "terrorists."

Rather than taking the time to provide evidence as to why the defendants should be free of liability, Burrow instead defended anti-fascism and attacked Ngo's credibility as a journalist. Burrows also told jurors that she "will remember each one of their faces."

Before jury deliberation commenced, Judge Chanpone Sinlapasai announced that the jurors have raised safety concerns about being "doxxed" and claimed that people have been trying to identify them, according to a Post Millennial report by Seattle-based correspondent Katie Daviscourt. Prior to the trial's conclusion, Sinlapasai issued court orders banning the public and non-credentialed press from the courtroom for the duration of Ngo's jury trial as it was underway in Multnomah County Circuit Court. The judge's decision was made due to multiple in-court disruptions since the trial began on July 31 as well as security issues.

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/miacathell/2023/08/09/andy-ngo-antifa-trial-hacker-testimony-n2626762

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I wish Andy luck but I have no optimism over this sort of thing.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I respect his efforts and work, but attempting to secure justice in the belly of the beast seems useless.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Let Portland burn ... in the old days it was called urban renewal.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

This is disgusting. PDX is completely lawless. To celebrate their victory, Annie and Andy Tifa also broke into the car of a Post-Millennial reporter, Katie Daviscourt, and stole stuff from it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Cernovich
@Cernovich

Jury nullification. Deep blue areas will convict the innocent and free the guilty. This ruling is legalized lynching and open season on all conservatives.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A very dangerous precedent has been established, whether ANTIFA knows it or not.

Now, they are fair game.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
Cernovich
@Cernovich

Jury nullification. Deep blue areas will convict the innocent and free the guilty. This ruling is legalized lynching and open season on all conservatives.

Exactly what it was.

• Technical
Can he sue the city for failing to protect him?

Offline Kamaji

A very dangerous precedent has been established, whether ANTIFA knows it or not.

Now, they are fair game.

:thumbsup:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Hope everyone understands this goes way beyond ANTIFA and these people are straight up at war with us. We are now just a collection of Red and Blue population centers, and they want us dead or under their boot.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

I have little doubt that the city, like police, are under no obligation to protect him.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Generally speaking, no.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I respect his efforts and work, but attempting to secure justice in the belly of the beast seems useless.

@SZonian

SOMEBODY has to stand up to these cretins in public,and demand an end to their crime sprees.

I wish him all the luck in the  world,and if I lived close to him,I would be one of his bodyguards for free.

Hell,I might even pay HIM for the opportunity it would present. I am old and bored.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Now, they are fair game.

@Smokin Joe

PLEASE cheer me up  by telling me how.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hope everyone understands this goes way beyond ANTIFA and these people are straight up at war with us. We are now just a collection of Red and Blue population centers, and they want us dead or under their boot.

@Free Vulcan

"Yup!",to every single word in your above post!

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

PLEASE cheer me up  by telling me how.
If, after being captured on video the ANTIFAs aren't responsible for injuries to Ngo, then anyone who injures ANTIFAs should, under equal protection, not be liable for the cost of their injuries. Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If, after being captured on video the ANTIFAs aren't responsible for injuries to Ngo, then anyone who injures ANTIFAs should, under equal protection, not be liable for the cost of their injuries. Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

@Smokin Joe

Sounds good to me!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Vulcan thunders:
"Hope everyone understands this goes way beyond ANTIFA and these people are straight up at war with us. We are now just a collection of Red and Blue population centers, and they want us dead or under their boot."

Understand?
Of course.
But many in this forum even yet cannot see this.

Cities like Portland and Seattle (perhaps entire states, as well) have become lost to those who believe in a traditional-minded America.

The only way to recover them will be through a General Sherman style march and occupation (and destruction), followed by a period of Reconstruction (from the grade schools and governments, upward).

If the red states aren't willing to do that, the antifa states aren't coming back.

Before too much longer, the choices will be down to
- secede,
- fight, or
- submit.

(I grimly predict the choice that will be made is likely to be the last one)

Offline mountaineer

@TPostMillennial reporter @KatieDaviscourt describes how the judge didn’t allow critical evidence in Andy Ngo’s civil lawsuit over the brutal beating he received during a protest in Portland in 2021.

https://twitter.com/RealAmVoice/status/1689387009075216384

Offline mountaineer

Some local commentary on the state - or absence - of justice in PDX:
PDX Real
@PDXReal1
There is a huge difference in current DA Mike Schmidt and his challenger, Nathan Vasquez.

Schmidt had only been in the DA’s office for a few years prior to running for the office of District Attorney. He had NEVER ONCE prosecuted a serious crime. It is obvious that Schmidt is not only an ideologue, but was also woefully unqualified for the position, and we have seen the affects of that through his treatment of female staff and other serious issues within the office of the DA.

Vasquez, on the other hand, has been in the DA’s office for over 20 years. He is recognized as the office’s best prosecutor for trying major crimes (he mostly handles murder cases and those of similar seriousness). He is a big advocate for victims, and, most importantly, he will prosecute crime.
6:14 PM · Aug 9, 2023

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Vulcan thunders:
"Hope everyone understands this goes way beyond ANTIFA and these people are straight up at war with us. We are now just a collection of Red and Blue population centers, and they want us dead or under their boot."

Understand?
Of course.
But many in this forum even yet cannot see this.

Cities like Portland and Seattle (perhaps entire states, as well) have become lost to those who believe in a traditional-minded America.

The only way to recover them will be through a General Sherman style march and occupation (and destruction), followed by a period of Reconstruction (from the grade schools and governments, upward).

If the red states aren't willing to do that, the antifa states aren't coming back.

Before too much longer, the choices will be down to
- secede,
- fight, or
- submit.

(I grimly predict the choice that will be made is likely to be the last one)

@Fishrrman

Many of us have been saying that for years,and ended up getting called names for saying it.,

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Conservatives and moderates need to leave those areas rules by progressives.  That's really the only answer at this point.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
@SZonian

SOMEBODY has to stand up to these cretins in public,and demand an end to their crime sprees.

I wish him all the luck in the  world,and if I lived close to him,I would be one of his bodyguards for free.

Hell,I might even pay HIM for the opportunity it would present. I am old and bored.
I agree with standing up to them, etc., but a change of venue should have been in order. No way he got a fair trial.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.