Author Topic: Why a US Navy admiral says China won’t pick up the military hotline  (Read 311 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why a US Navy admiral says China won’t pick up the military hotline
“This is a very dangerous trend in terms of our ability as major powers to truly work out our issues," Rear Adm. Michael Studeman said of the lack of communications.
By   JUSTIN KATZ
on August 07, 2023 at 2:09 PM

WASHINGTON — Over the last few months top Pentagon officials have sounded the alarm that their counterparts in China are ignoring their calls. But a senior US Navy official said he suspects that behind the diplomatic cold shoulder is Beijing’s belief that the US sees the hotline as a “safety net,” and that not answering could curb US actions in the region in the first place.

“They… believe that if you have a hotline, that we’re more prone to risky behavior because that’s our kind of safety net,” Rear Adm. Mike Studeman said during an event at the Hudson Institute today. If a crisis emerges, “then they [the US] want an out. They want the ability to negotiate their way out of it. Just don’t give them a safety net, and then maybe they’ll be more conservative with their forces and their behavior.”

Studeman warned that “whatever the logic is, [this] leads to very little official communication now.”

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/why-a-us-navy-admiral-says-china-wont-pick-up-the-military-hotline/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Why a US Navy admiral says China won’t pick up the military hotline
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 01:58:11 pm »
So stop acting like babies mewling for their blankies and start acting like men.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 02:12:24 pm »
 ////00000////

Maybe the Chi-coms are afraid we'll reverse the phone charges.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 03:44:54 am »
Prolly got tired of Milley making kissy noises...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis