Author Topic: DeSantis Opposes Punishment for Women Who Violate Abortion Ban  (Read 362 times)

Offline Kamaji

DeSantis Opposes Punishment for Women Who Violate Abortion Ban

BY ANTHONY GONZALEZ
AUGUST 08, 2023

GOP presidential candidate Ron DeSantis sparred with NBC News host Dasha Burns over abortion and the 2020 election during an interview Monday.

DeSantis, who signed a six-week abortion ban into law in April, told Burns that he would not support punishing women who violate abortion bans.

“Not at all,” DeSantis replied when Burns asked whether he supported punishing women who violate an abortion ban. “No, I don’t think this is an issue about the woman. I think a lot of these women, you know, are in very difficult circumstances. They don’t get any support from a lot of the fathers.”

DeSantis argued that the reason most women may be getting abortions is because of a lack of support. He noted that in Florida, that support has been provided time and time again.

“And a lot of them, the number one reason why women choose to have an abortion is because they’re not getting support and they feel abandoned,” he added. “Now, in Florida, we’ve provided support and we’ve put our money where our mouth is. But at the end of the day, you know, I would not support any penalties on a woman.”

Burns later pressed DeSantis on whether he would veto a federal abortion ban if he becomes president next year.

“So would you veto any sort of federal bill that tries to put a nationwide ban in place?” Burns asked.

“We will be a pro-life president and we will support pro-life policies,” DeSantis said. “I would not allow what a lot of the left wants to do, which is to override pro-life protections throughout the country all the way up, really, until the moment of birth in some instances, which I think is infanticide.”

“I’ve gotta push back on you on that,” Burns interjected, “because that’s a misrepresentation of what’s happening. I mean, 1.3% of abortions happen at 21 weeks [of pregnancy] or higher.”

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/anthony-gonzalez/2023/08/08/desantis-opposes-punishment-for-women-who-violate-abortion-ban-n1717155

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: DeSantis Opposes Punishment for Women Who Violate Abortion Ban
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 05:40:03 pm »
Why waste public resources to passing a law that won't be enforced?  That's lame.  So Florida's abortion ban is a sham, a fraud, a gimmick?  Pshaw!

He did not answer "No" to a Federal abortion ban.  Any answer other than "No" will cost votes of Independents and States Rights /10th Amendment supporters.

Voters are done with non-answer responses to direct questions.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 05:43:24 pm »
Why waste public resources to passing a law that won't be enforced?  That's lame.  So Florida's abortion ban is a sham, a fraud, a gimmick?  Pshaw!

He did not answer "No" to a Federal abortion ban.  Any answer other than "No" will cost votes of Independents and States Rights /10th Amendment supporters.

And that is a yes or no question. The answer should be “no it’s a state issue” and then leave it at that.

This is the kind of waffling that cost John Kerry the 2004 election
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:23:51 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 07:40:54 pm »

The ban is enforced against the doctor performing the abortion, not the woman.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 08:34:36 pm »
And that is a yes or no question. The answer should be “no it’s a state issue” and then leave it at that.

This is the kind of waffling that cost John Kerry the 2004 election

Whoever advised him to give the non-answer should be included in the shakeup.  It's very frustrating to watch.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 09:40:32 pm »
Whoever advised him to give the non-answer should be included in the shakeup.  It's very frustrating to watch.

I would much rather see a candidate give a clear and concise answer, even if I don’t agree with his/her answer, than this scripted, advisor type reply
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 09:43:06 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:48:51 pm »
In a round about way, he did answer the question  “I would not allow what a lot of the left wants to do, which is to override pro-life protections throughout the country".....

However, more clarity would have been much more appropriate.  Perhaps this will be one of the questions asked during the debate.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 09:57:19 pm »
I would much rather see a candidate give a clear and concise answer, even if I don’t agree with his/her answer, than this scripted, advisor type reply

Totally agree.