Author Topic: Bill Maher Slams ‘Barbie’ Movie: ‘Preachy, Man-Hating Zombie Lie’  (Read 2166 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Next on the Neo-con cavalcade of childhood toy paranoia ... do Lincoln Logs make boys go gay?

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

////00000////

Next on the Neo-con cavalcade of childhood toy paranoia ... do Lincoln Logs make boys go gay?

:silly:

Offline corbe

Perhaps they're trying to change American Women's perception of going to their Gynecologist.   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Kamaji

Perhaps they're trying to change American Women's perception of going to their Gynecologist.   :shrug:

Maybe so.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
:facepalm2:

It was a movie, about a doll.

Exactly, what do you know, because you didn't see the movie.  Quite literally, you do not know what you're talking about.

The movie actually rejects precisely the sort of rigid feminism that has led to many of the current social ills, as well as rejecting the rigid masculinism that feminism claims to be against.

At the end of the day, the point of the movie is to figure yourself out, and figure the world out for yourself, rather than being chained to someone else's reductive ideology, whether that be of the "patriarchy" variety or the feminist variety.

And no, it's not about forcing your personal sexual preferences and fetishes on the rest of the world.  As the mother puts it toward the end of the movie, she just wants "Ordinary Barbie" - “She just has a flattering top and she wants to get through the day feeling kind of okay.”

And the rigid, comical "patriarchy" espoused by Ken is ultimately rejected by him, in part because “Once I realized the patriarchy wasn’t about horses, I kind of lost interest.”

It all takes place in the context of a doll mileu, which is necessarily childish, and thus everything is two-dimensional and stereotyped - the protagonist doll herself is labeled as the "Stereotypical Barbie".

At the end of the day, rigid orthodoxies are rejected, a mother and daughter who were alienated by the daughter's adherence to a rigid, primitive feminism have been reunited, with the daughter rejecting that rigid feminism, and the only piece of unfinished business - other than Barbie's visit to the gynecologist - is that the real-life daughter's father needs to stop being a woke beta-cuck - he is not held up as a model for men - and needs to find himself out for himself as well.

So, which is it? A movie about a doll, or a deeply philosophical critique of the modern feminist movement? Or, are you perhaps suggesting that a movie can be about a kid's toy and also have deeper subtextual meaning to it? Because that's what I've been arguing all along: that entertainment in general is being produced with sometimes subtle, sometimes overt messaging in it, and conservatives ought to be paying attention to that instead of dismissing it out of hand. Which, interestingly, was your first move.

I didn't see the movie. I saw the trailer, read about the previous work of the director (Greta Gerwig), and saw the early reviews, and decided that the movie wasn't for me. YMMV. If you saw it and enjoyed it, good for you. If you saw it and didn't enjoy it, that sucks. If, like me, you decided not to see it, then you saved the price of admission and hopefully spent the time doing something you enjoyed doing.
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

So, which is it? A movie about a doll, or a deeply philosophical critique of the modern feminist movement? Or, are you perhaps suggesting that a movie can be about a kid's toy and also have deeper subtextual meaning to it? Because that's what I've been arguing all along: that entertainment in general is being produced with sometimes subtle, sometimes overt messaging in it, and conservatives ought to be paying attention to that instead of dismissing it out of hand. Which, interestingly, was your first move.

I didn't see the movie. I saw the trailer, read about the previous work of the director (Greta Gerwig), and saw the early reviews, and decided that the movie wasn't for me. YMMV. If you saw it and enjoyed it, good for you. If you saw it and didn't enjoy it, that sucks. If, like me, you decided not to see it, then you saved the price of admission and hopefully spent the time doing something you enjoyed doing.

You've already admitted that you have no idea what you're talking about, for the simple reason that you didn't see the movie.  And yet you persist.

Face it, as Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a good smoke, even though it always carries certain affinities with phallic symbolism.  This is nothing more than a feel-good movie for mothers and daughters.  It is not some sort of dangerous covert woke attack on some precious never-existed traditional culture.

But you don't want that answer.  You want to be offended.  So, go right ahead and be offended.

Offline Ghost Bear

You've already admitted that you have no idea what you're talking about, for the simple reason that you didn't see the movie.  And yet you persist.

Face it, as Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a good smoke, even though it always carries certain affinities with phallic symbolism.  This is nothing more than a feel-good movie for mothers and daughters.  It is not some sort of dangerous covert woke attack on some precious never-existed traditional culture.

But you don't want that answer.  You want to be offended.  So, go right ahead and be offended.

Yes, I didn't see it: as I stated, I saw the trailers, I listened to early reviews, I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't say I was offended, you inferred that.  As to what message the movie delivers, others who have seen it (including people on this board and people who review movies for a living) have opinions that differ from yours, and yet you dismiss those opinions out of hand also. Why is that?

You seem to have a great need to make sure that people don't think this movie is offensive. That's interesting.

And yes, I persist in stating that movies have messages, and that conservatives should pay attention to those messages. Whatver those messages may be.
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

Yes, I didn't see it: as I stated, I saw the trailers, I listened to early reviews, I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't say I was offended, you inferred that.  As to what message the movie delivers, others who have seen it (including people on this board and people who review movies for a living) have opinions that differ from yours, and yet you dismiss those opinions out of hand also. Why is that?

You seem to have a great need to make sure that people don't think this movie is offensive. That's interesting.

And yes, I persist in stating that movies have messages, and that conservatives should pay attention to those messages. Whatver those messages may be.

You seem to have a whole lot invested in making sure people hate a movie you've never seen because you've been told by other people that it has strange hidden messages of "wokeness" that will further vitiate traditional culture.

I'm simply trying to set you straight.  Oh well.  :shrug:

Offline Ghost Bear

You seem to have a whole lot invested in making sure people hate a movie you've never seen because you've been told by other people that it has strange hidden messages of "wokeness" that will further vitiate traditional culture.

I'm simply trying to set you straight.  Oh well.  :shrug:

Wow, way to disregard what I'm saying. OK, whatever. I have made my point several times, you have failed to grasp it or outright ignored it. And again, conservatives wonder why they lost the culture war.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

Wow, way to disregard what I'm saying. OK, whatever. I have made my point several times, you have failed to grasp it or outright ignored it. And again, conservatives wonder why they lost the culture war.  :shrug:

You haven't made a single point so far, other than that you are all too willing to regurgitate other peoples' talking points without thinking them through first yourself.

Too bad.  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I get the feeling you liked the movie, Kamaji?

Online Kamaji

I get the feeling you liked the movie, Kamaji?

More or less.  It was relatively harmless fun.

Offline Ghost Bear

You haven't made a single point so far, other than that you are all too willing to regurgitate other peoples' talking points without thinking them through first yourself.

Too bad.  :shrug:

Point 1: movies have messages, even movies about a kid's toy

Point 2: conservatives should pay attention to those messages

Do you disagree with either point? If so, why?

What "talking points" have I "regurgitated"? By posting a link to Drinker's review, I demonstrated that other people have opinions about the movie which differ from yours. Based on early reviews similar to his, and on the trailers that I saw, I decided not to see the movie. Since when has deciding to see or not see a movie based on critic's reviews and trailers become an invalid course of action?

So you're "trying to set me straight" that the Barbie movie isn't a hot mess of woke intersectional feminism? OK, why should I believe your opinion over anyone else's opinion?  Maybe your opinion is wrong. Or do you never consider that possibility?
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

Point 1: movies have messages, even movies about a kid's toy

Point 2: conservatives should pay attention to those messages

Do you disagree with either point? If so, why?

What "talking points" have I "regurgitated"? By posting a link to Drinker's review, I demonstrated that other people have opinions about the movie which differ from yours. Based on early reviews similar to his, and on the trailers that I saw, I decided not to see the movie. Since when has deciding to see or not see a movie based on critic's reviews and trailers become an invalid course of action?

So you're "trying to set me straight" that the Barbie movie isn't a hot mess of woke intersectional feminism? OK, why should I believe your opinion over anyone else's opinion?  Maybe your opinion is wrong. Or do you never consider that possibility?

If you say so, chief.  You're the one who launched into the diatribe, over a movie you haven't even seen.

I have seen it.  And I can say that it doesn't bear any of the "woke" messages your sources are all screaming that it does.  But don't trust me; go see it yourself.

Offline Ghost Bear

If you say so, chief.  You're the one who launched into the diatribe, over a movie you haven't even seen.

I have seen it.  And I can say that it doesn't bear any of the "woke" messages your sources are all screaming that it does.  But don't trust me; go see it yourself.

You've launched your own diatribes on this thread, "chief". You say it isn't woke, others say it is. That's all there is to it.
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

You've launched your own diatribes on this thread, "chief". You say it isn't woke, others say it is. That's all there is to it.

Whatever, chief.  Next time, see the movie before you criticize.  Doing otherwise is what liberals do.

Offline Ghost Bear

Whatever, chief.  Next time, see the movie before you criticize.  Doing otherwise is what liberals do.

Nowhere did I criticize the movie. I quoted other people criticizing the movie.

Misrepresenting people's statements and actions is what liberals do.
Let it burn.

Online Kamaji

Nowhere did I criticize the movie. I quoted other people criticizing the movie.

Misrepresenting people's statements and actions is what liberals do.

Yeah, right.  And Joe Biden wasn't soliciting bribes because all he did was talk about the weather.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Kinda amusing to see folks arguing about a film that (without having seen it, because I would NEVER waste my time watching such a film) probably isn't traditional-leaning in any way and in all likelihood endeavours to attack traditional and conservative mores.

No interest in this film.

Actually, the last time I walked into a movie theater was... 1993.
After 30 years, I have no desire to do so again.

Offline Ghost Bear

Yeah, right.  And Joe Biden wasn't soliciting bribes because all he did was talk about the weather.

My apologies, I reviewed my posts on this thread and in one post I did imply that the movie was feminist propaganda. I can see where you might have taken that as my criticism of the movie. However, it wasn't: I was relaying the opinion of reviewers who have stated that the movie is feminist propaganda.  But I will admit that is a fine line.

Comparing me to Joe Biden is downright insulting though.
Let it burn.

Offline goatprairie

There are a number of "must see" flicks that I've never seen. For instance, "Titanic."
When people jump and down screeching that your life is worthless if you don't see a certain motion picture, then I go out of my way not to see it.
If "Barbie" shows up on HBO or Showtime and other members of my family want to watch it, well alright, I might sit through it.
But I've seen a number of flicks in the last twenty years that were declared great that I found to be a lot less than great. Like "Gladiator" which I had a tough time not falling asleep through.
So, if people like/love "Barbie," fine by me. My life will go on if I don't see it. From the numerous reviews of the flick I've read, it does not interest me much.
But if whoever sees it and likes it...that's fine by me too.
I am much more interested in "Oppenheimer" which I will make a definite attempt to see.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I trust my own eyes and time spent in the theater more than I trust someone else - no matter whom - with an ideological axe to grind.

It was a movie, about a doll, whose greatest joy at the end was going to see the gynecologist for the first time.
I thought the fun part of the review was his mention of Barbie fates in real life, as chew toys for the dog, frequently left naked and often at least partially dismembered. If I had a dime for every decapitated Barbie (or knock-off) I'd ever seen (four daughters, seven granddaughters, six great granddaughters) I could buy a sheikdom...  Obviously, Barbies just don't do so well once they come off the shelf and out of the original wrapper, and for some reason eventually suffer the fate of trophy wife types almost everywhere, discarded for the latest model, doomed to being duct taped to roller skates and leftover fireworks...

I'll pass on the movie, at least in theaters. If it comes up on some streaming service and one of my great-grands wants to see it, I'll likely pipe it in for her and see what I see.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

I thought the fun part of the review was his mention of Barbie fates in real life, as chew toys for the dog, frequently left naked and often at least partially dismembered. If I had a dime for every decapitated Barbie (or knock-off) I'd ever seen (four daughters, seven granddaughters, six great granddaughters) I could buy a sheikdom...  Obviously, Barbies just don't do so well once they come off the shelf and out of the original wrapper, and for some reason eventually suffer the fate of trophy wife types almost everywhere, discarded for the latest model, doomed to being duct taped to roller skates and leftover fireworks...

I'll pass on the movie, at least in theaters. If it comes up on some streaming service and one of my great-grands wants to see it, I'll likely pipe it in for her and see what I see.

:thumbsup:

Online LMAO

My wife took my autistic adult son to see it because he absolutely loves going to movies more than he loves going fishing with dad

I didn’t go because I was afraid I would run into one of my coworkers and have to explain why I’m going to go see a Barbie movie wink777
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy