Author Topic: Oberlin College Sues Insurers For Refusing To Cover $36 Million It Paid Gibson’s Bakery For Defamati  (Read 922 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by William A. Jacobson Sunday, August 6, 2023

Oberlin College Sues Insurers For Refusing To Cover $36 Million It Paid Gibson’s Bakery For Defamation And Other Torts

Four insurance companies have told the college to pound sand. Have you ever rooted for insurance companies ever? There’s a first for everything.

After a six year struggle, in December 2022 Gibson’s Bakery finally was paid by Oberlin College a total of $36 million, representing a judgment of approximately $32 million plus post judgment interest. We covered the payment on December 11, 2022, Finally, The Gibson’s Bakery Family Has Been Paid By Oberlin College.

It was a six year struggle for the Gibson family, which saw Grandpa Allyn Gibson and David Gibson pass away after the trial but before the appeals were concluded.

It was a six year journey for us as well, as we covered the case almost since the inception of the protests outside the bakery in November 2016, after a black Oberlin College student was stopped for shoplifting. (He was in fact shop lifting.) The ensuing accusations by the college that the bakery had a long history of racial profiling let to a lawsuit, trial, appeals, and ultimately payment. We were there the whole way:

Along the way, for those of you paying careful attention, a controversy bubbled up as to whether the college’s insurers would cover the verdict. We covered the potential dispute on June 9, after the $11 million compensatory verdict, but before the $33 million (eventually reduced) punitive verdict, EXCLUSIVE: Oberlin College insurer likely to reject coverage for Gibson Bakery $11 million verdict:

A jury has awarded Gibson’s Bakery and its owners $11 million in compensatory damages against Oberlin College, for libel, intentional interference with business, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The punitive damage hearing next week could add another $22 million, bringing the total to $33 million….

An obvious question, and one a lot of people have been asking, is whether the college has liability insurance to cover the verdict.

Based on court filings obtained by Legal Insurrection Foundation, it appears that the insurer, Lexington Insurance Company, is likely to disclaim coverage for the intentional torts which gave rise to the verdict.

The likelihood of refusal to cover the verdict was revealed in a May 1, 2019, Motion to Intervene (pdf.)(full embed at bottom of post) filed by Lexington Insurance Company.

The purpose of the motion, according to Lexington, was “for the limited purpose of submitting interrogatories to the jury in order to determine facts at issue in this action that would impact coverage under its policy.”

I then extensively quoted the Lexington Motion, which previewed how it would disclaim coverage and how the nature of the claims and verdict would be important:

Here is an excerpt from Lexington’s motion setting forth the nature of the insurance coverage (emphasis added):

Lexington issued a Commercial Umbrella Liability policy that potentially provides coverage to defendants Oberlin College aka Oberlin College and Conservatory (“Oberlin”) and Meredith Raimondo for certain damages in this action. Lexington seeks intervention in this action for the limited purpose of submitting interrogatories to the jury in order to determine facts at issue in this action that would impact coverage under its policy.

The Lexington policy does not provide coverage for “bodily injury” or “property damage” intentionally caused by defendants. While the Lexington policy potentially provides coverage in relation to “personal and advertising injury,” defined to include defamation and/or disparagement in certain circumstances, the Lexington policy excludes any such coverage if “personal and advertising injury” is caused “with the knowledge that the act would violate the rights of another … ,” or if the insured published material it knew to be false. Further, the Lexington policy provides coverage for punitive damages insurable by law, but only where the corresponding award of compensatory damages is also covered by the Lexington policy. In this action, plaintiffs Gibson Bros., Inc., Allyn Gibson, and David Gibson allege that defendants Oberlin and Ms. Raimondo published material that falsely characterized the bakery owned by plaintiffs (“Gibson’s”) as being a racist establishment. While such allegations potentially implicate “personal and advertising injury,” plaintiffs also alleged that the statements were published with malice, were intended to injure plaintiffs’ business reputation, and were part of a purported campaign to harm plaintiffs. If it is established that the defendants knew the alleged statements were false, or if the defendants knew their alleged acts would violate plaintiffs’ rights, the Lexington policy would exclude coverage for any resultant damage. Thus, Lexington seeks to intervene in order to submit jury interrogatories to determine the extent of the defendants’ knowledge in relation to the alleged publications.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/08/oberlin-college-sues-insurers-for-refusing-to-cover-36-million-it-paid-gibsons-bakery-for-defamation-and-other-torts/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

“Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria! Rooting for insurance companies! And their lawyers!”
The Republic is lost.

Offline PeteS in CA

Insurers often will not cover tortious behavior, and sometimes are legally for bidden to do so. Oberlin's administrators' behavior was blatantly tortious. Pay the bleep up, Oberlin and mal-administrators!

A tort is the civil analog to a crime.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 11:49:21 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Insurers often will not cover tortious behavior, and sometimes are legally for bidden to do so. Oberlin's administrators' behavior was blatantly tortious. Pay the bleep up, Oberlin and mal-administrators!

A tort is the civil analog to a crime.

Exactly.  At the time I assumed no coverage by any Insurance Company would pay because the Injury was caused by the malicious actions of an Oberlin employee(s).  This is the first I heard they tried that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

So, under Critical Race Theory, the insurance company is racist, too, because racism is allegedly "systemic"?

I'm perplexed by these liberal race ideologies that basically absolve me of any responsibility for being racist:

- "Don't blame me.  It's the system that's racist."
- "Don't blame me.  My skin color made me a racist."

I guess were all mindless zombie victims of forces beyond our control with no ability to change our thought of behavior.

Was it my love of orange sherbert that inherently made me vote for Trump in 2016?  So, I'm blameless for that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:44:39 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
College falsely shouts racism, now wants OTHERS to pay $36 million
'Colossal failure of leadership'

By Bob Unruh
Published August 8, 2023 at 10:22am

Oberlin College, an enclave of extreme liberalism whose leaders staged a years-long attack falsely alleging racism against the innocent owners of a nearby bakery, lost big-time in court.

WND reported last year when the school was shamed into pay the $36.5 million it owed the bakery owners for a years-long defamatory war against them.

The essence of the dispute was that Oberlin officials falsely claimed, over and over for years, that the owners of Gibson's bakery, which is near the campus, were racist, when they were not.

Now the school is demanding its insurers pay back what it spent on the damages, as well as all of its legal costs.

https://www.wnd.com/2023/08/college-falsely-shouts-racism-now-wants-others-pay-36-million/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I don't think insurance coverage for those punitive damages is recoverable under Ohio law.  There's a finding of malice that should preclude it under RC 3937.182.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
With a bit o' luck, oberlin will fight their insurer in the courts and expend a few $million more.

And hopefully... lose.

So that in the end, this case will have cost them even MORE.

Too bad, so sad...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
With a bit o' luck, oberlin will fight their insurer in the courts and expend a few $million more.

And hopefully... lose.

So that in the end, this case will have cost them even MORE.

Too bad, so sad...

It was a self-inflicted wound, and typical  of leftists, they want someone else to pay for the consequences.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

To this day, they don't believe they did anything wrong.

Offline roamer_1

I truly hope they get to eat every last penny.

Offline Hoodat

They should be suing Julio Reyes and Meredith Raimondo instead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

I noticed that counsel for this insurance action isn't the same as trial counsel for Oberlin.