Author Topic: Navy Safely Recovers Mock Space Capsule Off San Diego in Big Step Toward Sending Humans to the Moon  (Read 177 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Safely Recovers Mock Space Capsule Off San Diego in Big Step Toward Sending Humans to the Moon

NASA and the U.S. Navy spoke with members of the news media about NASA's first recovery test for Artemis II

3 Aug 2023
The San Diego Union-Tribune | By Gary Robbins

NASA's quest to send astronauts to the moon in a tiny spacecraft that later returns to Earth and parachutes into the Pacific Ocean has gotten a big lift from the Navy, which safely recovered a capsule and four stand-in crew members numerous times last week during drills off San Diego.

The exercises represented a critical dress rehearsal for Artemis II, a mission in which four astronauts will fly to the moon and back late next year. NASA will later attempt to place astronauts on the lunar surface in a possible step toward the human exploration of Mars.

Advertisement
A mock version of the new Artemis' Orion spacecraft was repeatedly placed in the ocean last week by the San Diego-based USS John P. Murtha, a cavernous transport dock ship which then filled the capsule with four officers and sailors from Naval Air Station North Island.

The volunteers were stand-ins for the real astronauts. They remained inside the capsule until they could be safely extracted and transferred back to the ship by helicopter. Orion was guided back by boat crews.

The joint drills by the Navy, NASA and Air Force occurred during the day and at night near Santa Catalina Island, and each was safely completed within an allotted two-hour time period, officials said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/08/03/navy-safely-recovers-mock-space-capsule-off-san-diego-big-step-toward-sending-humans-moon.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wow!!  Going to the moon.  What in the universe will they think of next? 000hehehehe
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson