Author Topic: DeSantis: Republicans will lose if they behave like Trump  (Read 1228 times)

Offline libertybele

DeSantis: Republicans will lose if they behave like Trump
« on: August 06, 2023, 12:16:48 am »
DeSantis: Republicans will lose if they behave like Trump

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis sharply criticized his chief 2024 rival during a town hall in New Hampshire that aired Friday, telling the audience former President Donald Trump’s behavior could cause Republicans to lose.

“These insults are so phony, these insults are juvenile. That is not the way a great nation should be conducting itself. That is not the way the president of the United States should be conducting himself,” DeSantis said on WMUR’s “Conversation With the Candidate,” which was taped Tuesday.

DeSantis said at the town hall that he’s not going to insult somebody’s looks or dress and wouldn’t teach his kids to treat people like that.

“As Republicans, that will cause us to lose if we behave that way. There are millions of voters out there who do not like what Biden is doing to this country,” DeSantis added. “They do not like the direction the country is going in. But they aren’t going to sign up for a candidate who is behaving like that. So, let’s be better. Let’s look higher, and let’s set a good standard for our children to follow.”

While he acknowledged he was a “big supporter” of Trump, DeSantis called him out for running on failed promises from 2016, like eliminating the national debt, having Mexico pay for a border wall and draining the “swamp” in Washington, DC.

DeSantis said elsewhere Friday that the “theories” put out by Trump and his associates following the 2020 election were “unsubstantiated” and “did not prove to be true.”

“I’ve said many times, the election is what it is. All those theories that were put out, did not prove to be true,” DeSantis told reporters traveling on his “Never Back Down” bus tour in Iowa. “What I’ve also said is the way you conduct a good election that people have confidence in, you don’t change the rules in the middle of the game.”.............

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/05/politics/desantis-trump-2020-election-theories/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: DeSantis: Republicans will lose if they behave like Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 12:22:13 am »
He isn't wrong.  Despite what the rabid Trump supporters say. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 12:32:03 am »
DeSantis is exactly right.  Trump lost independent voters in 2020 and sure as hell won’t be gaining them back in 2024.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 12:37:29 am »
DeSantis is exactly right.  Trump lost independent voters in 2020 and sure as hell won’t be gaining them back in 2024.

:yowsa:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 12:38:02 am »

And he's lost more than independents since 2020.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 12:55:56 am »
Trump made a mockery of the campaign debates in '16 with his cheap shots and smear tactics. It was shameful.

Issues, backgrounds, accomplishments and voting records are what need to be debated.

Not to mention he went very soft on Hillary.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 12:21:42 pm »

His loss will be more significant in 2024.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 12:27:28 pm »
:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 12:46:33 pm »
He's losing many who voted for him in 2016 and 2020. His behavior,  unkept promises and age are just three factors.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 06:37:52 pm »

Trump's actually gained support among independents since 2020 ---- but, do carry on.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 06:38:56 pm »
He's losing many who voted for him in 2016 and 2020. His behavior,  unkept promises and age are just three factors.

Link, please @mountaineer

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 06:41:01 pm »

Yup.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 06:43:16 pm »

Exactly.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 06:54:30 pm »
Trump's actually gained support among independents since 2020 ---- but, do carry on.

Link please @Right_in_Virginia

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 06:57:42 pm »
:mauslaff:

Polls - about as useful as wheels on a fish.

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 06:58:52 pm »
"It's not the way the President of the United States should be conducting himself". (Video)

https://twitter.com/miguelifornia/status/1687661631587909632

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 09:41:47 pm »
:mauslaff:

Polls - about as useful as wheels on a fish.

Polls in early 2022 showed independents favoring the GOP over Democrats. But once they got to the voting booth and evaluated the MAGA endorsed candidates, they voted Democrat

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/politics/republicans-have-the-advantage-right-now-on-key-issues-and-midterm-elections

And

https://rollcall.com/2022/11/16/it-was-all-about-the-independents-again/

Let’s be honest. As long as Trump is in the picture, the GOP can look forward to several cycles of election losses.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 09:47:09 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 12:13:57 pm »
Polls in early 2022 showed independents favoring the GOP over Democrats. But once they got to the voting booth and evaluated the MAGA endorsed candidates, they voted Democrat

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/politics/republicans-have-the-advantage-right-now-on-key-issues-and-midterm-elections

And

https://rollcall.com/2022/11/16/it-was-all-about-the-independents-again/

Let’s be honest. As long as Trump is in the picture, the GOP can look forward to several cycles of election losses.

Which is exactly not what the country needs right now, more so than ever.  In other words, Trump is bad for the country, period.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 12:24:06 pm »
Which is exactly not what the country needs right now, more so than ever.  In other words, Trump is bad for the country, period.

The vast majority of voters do not suffer from the malady that inflicts both Never Trumpers and Only Trumpers.

One group cannot see past his flaws; the other refuses to see them at all.

Many voters appear to view him as he actually is; they like some of what they see, dislike other things, and generally speaking would like to move on.

Move on to "who?" is the open question.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 12:33:27 pm »
The vast majority of voters do not suffer from the malady that inflicts both Never Trumpers and Only Trumpers.

Many voters appear to view him as he actually is; they like some of what they see, dislike other things, and generally speaking would like to move on.

Good post

There is an opening for another candidate besides Biden or Trump.

But that  candidate has to get past their primary voters first

Judges, energy, policy, and the border are definitely areas that Trump got it right

Tariffs, spending and the debt, and the role of government in general, plus his conduct in office was what he got wrong and I think the last one is mainly why he’s so toxic to general election voters. I think people at large in this country do take the office of the presidency seriously. And Bidens scandals are probably what’s weighing heavily on his job approval rating, also
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 12:54:54 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 12:36:09 pm »

What about those of us who voted for him in both 2016 and 2020, but have only become NeverTrump since then?   I mean, we pretty clearly recognized his positive aspects because we voted for him twice.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 12:58:46 pm »
 ////00000////

My Soul will spend Eternity in Hell if I behave like Trump.

Penance would require more Our Father's, Hail Mary's, and Acts of Contrition than I could recite in one lifetime.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2023, 01:17:39 pm »
What about those of us who voted for him in both 2016 and 2020, but have only become NeverTrump since then?   I mean, we pretty clearly recognized his positive aspects because we voted for him twice.

I voted for him, too. If he's the nominee, I will again.

But I'd prefer someone else. Someone who has a chance of winning.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2023, 02:02:55 pm »
I voted for him, too. If he's the nominee, I will again.

But I'd prefer someone else. Someone who has a chance of winning.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 08:36:42 pm »
Bryan Griffin
@BryanDGriffin
WATCH: Asked at a town hall about which FL policies he would replicate nationally, @RonDeSantis recites from memory a portion of Madison's commentary on federalism from the Federalist no. 45, and underscores the need for limits on gov't.

https://twitter.com/BryanDGriffin/status/1688980057627217920
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org