Author Topic: XQ-58 Valkyrie Solves Air Combat 'Challenge Problem' While Under AI Control  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
XQ-58 Valkyrie Solves Air Combat 'Challenge Problem' While Under AI Control
Story by Joseph Trevithick •

One of the U.S. Air Force's stealthy XQ-58A Valkyrie drones recently completed a successful test flight demonstrating the ability to carry out aerial combat tasks autonomously using new artificial intelligence-driven software. The service says the test is part of a tiered approach to maturing autonomy "agents," which involves training algorithms millions of times first in simulations and other testing. This includes the Collaborative Combat Aircraft program, or CCA, a key part of the larger Next Generation Air Dominance modernization initiative.

The milestone XQ-58A test took place at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida on July 25, according to a press release from the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). The flight lasted approximately three hours and was conducted within the bounds of the Eglin Test and Training Complex, a group of offshore training ranges in the Gulf of Mexico. AFRL's Autonomous Air Combat Operations (AACO) program team developed the algorithms used for the test.

“The mission proved out a multi-layer safety framework on an AI/ML [artificial intelligence/machine learning]-flown uncrewed aircraft and demonstrated an AI/ML agent solving a tactically relevant 'challenge problem' during airborne operations,” Air Force Col. Tucker Hamilton, the service's head of AI Test and Operations, said in a statement. “This sortie officially enables the ability to develop AI/ML agents that will execute modern air-to-air and air-to-surface skills."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/xq-58-valkyrie-solves-air-combat-challenge-problem-while-under-ai-control/ar-AA1eL2mB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eb89ca95cd624ba3816996102519389b&ei=27
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson