Author Topic: Younger generation has ‘stigma’ against blue-collar jobs, hasn’t had to ‘work hard’ CEO says  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Mike Rowe ("Dirty Jobs" star, narrator on "Deadliest Catch", etc.) is tackling the issue/problem:

https://mikeroweworks.org/about/

https://twitter.com/mikeroweworks

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Mike Rowe ("Dirty Jobs" star, narrator on "Deadliest Catch", etc.) is tackling the issue/problem:

https://mikeroweworks.org/about/

https://twitter.com/mikeroweworks

Big fan of Mike's here, I have donated to MikeRoweWorks Foundation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Big fan of Mike's here, I have donated to MikeRoweWorks Foundation.

Me too! And that will continue.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I am glad for the kids who can see it now, and are going after careers in the Trades. 

An oldie but goodie meme seems to fit here...  :laugh:

Offline banddag

If going skilled trades go union. Union trades pay the best- most people going into skilled trades are going that route  And recommended go industrial commercial and Unions have the best apprentice programs . Trying to get my 20 year old nephew to go this route. He is aimless right now

A friend's son is a union lineman. 3 or 4 years in and made $168k last year, 25 years old - lots of overtime due to weather
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:41:41 am by banddag »

Offline roamer_1

If going skilled trades go union. Union trades pay the best- most people going into skilled trades are going that route  And recommended go industrial commercial and Unions have the best apprentice programs . Trying to get my 20 year old nephew to go this route. He is aimless right now

A friend's son is a union lineman. 3 or 4 years in and made $168k last year, 25 years old - lots of overtime due to weather

HELL NO.

Offline banddag

HELL NO.
All the big construction projects are nearly all union, the new Intel factory, bridges etc, all the govt defense jobs, building ships, subs are all union . Best pay and. Benefits and they have great continuing education programs

Small mom and pop business cannot pay those wages and chance for advancement is minimal . The only ones who do ok are the owners who do plumbing etc. Employees get paid chump change .
Cnc machinery in my area non union 18-23 hr. Union machinest  40 hr + in my area
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:06:05 am by banddag »

Offline roamer_1

All the big construction projects are nearly all union, the new Intel factory, bridges etc, all the govt defense jobs, building ships, subs are all union . Best pay and. Benefits and they have great continuing education programs

Small mom and pop business cannot pay those wages and chance for advancement is minimal . The only ones who do ok are the owners who do plumbing etc. Employees get paid chump change .
Cnc machinery in my area non union 18-23 hr. Union machinest  40 hr + in my area

Nah... Bunch of liberal bullshit. I ran a big paint shop... In my day, bought more oil varnish than anyone west of the Mississippi.

It was a jippo shop. We got paid union scale on anything we cared to participate in that demanded it, but generally stayed away from union jobs. More bullcrap than they were worth.

But I could always, always take the work away from the no-account union shops. With just a phone call.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
All the big railroads are unionized, per the Railway Labor Act of c.1926.

Short lines often aren't unionized. Some of the "regionals" are, others aren't.

I don't think the Florida East Coast is union -- they had a very bitter strike in the early 1960's that drove the unions out. They may still be "out" to this day.

In summary... if you're going to run the trains, you're probably gonna have to join the union.

Having said that, the operating jobs on the big RR's aren't like they once were. It used to be a much better place to work. Not so much any more. Truth is, the railroad unions have never been noted for "being on the strong side"...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All the big railroads are unionized, per the Railway Labor Act of c.1926.

Short lines often aren't unionized. Some of the "regionals" are, others aren't.

I don't think the Florida East Coast is union -- they had a very bitter strike in the early 1960's that drove the unions out. They may still be "out" to this day.

In summary... if you're going to run the trains, you're probably gonna have to join the union.

Having said that, the operating jobs on the big RR's aren't like they once were. It used to be a much better place to work. Not so much any more. Truth is, the railroad unions have never been noted for "being on the strong side"...

A fellow I know works for BNSF and I think he would agree with your assessment of the current state of things for employees today.  We talked about the time off policies quite a bit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: