Author Topic: Freedom Caucus member says continuing resolution may be needed to avoid government shutdown  (Read 561 times)

Offline corbe

Freedom Caucus member says continuing resolution may be needed to avoid government shutdownby

Cami Mondeaux, Congressional Reporter 
August 04, 2023 03:25 PM

When Congress returns from its six-week recess, lawmakers will be faced with a tight deadline to pass all its spending bills before the end of September or risk a government shutdown. The 18-day window doesn’t provide a lot of room for error, but not all Congress members are scrambling to get the must-pass legislation to the president’s desk.

Congress has until the end of September to pass its annual budget before the new fiscal year begins on Oct. 1. The House managed to pass one of the 12 appropriations bills before leaving town for recess, while the Senate has yet to advance any — putting the two chambers on separate timelines as they return to Capitol Hill next month.

The budget process has also been complicated within the House GOP conference as several members of the Freedom Caucus have sparred with Speaker Kevin McCarty (R-CA) over key spending bills, threatening to withhold their support altogether if their demands aren’t met. The Freedom Caucus has not established a position on any of the spending legislation, but many of its members are aligned on what they want to see from leadership in exchange for their votes.

As a result, Rep. Dan Bishop (R-NC), a prominent conservative in the caucus, said it may be “implausible” for the House to finish drafting its budget before the Sept. 30 deadline.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/freedom-caucus-member-continuing-resolution--avoid-government-shutdown
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

They'll cave.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline andy58-in-nh

@corbe: They'll cave.

@bigheadfred: And claim it as a win.

And then, they'll wonder why their own core voters hate and distrust them.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The #1 Constitutional duty of the House of Representatives is to pass bills of appropriation.

Lock them in a room until they pass a budget, not a continuing resolution.

When they can't fund raise and can't appear on TV, they'll pass a budget, on time.

////00000////

One Congressional investigation I'd like to see is why they get away with not being in session for so many days a year.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

They'll cave.

McCarthy caved last time, so why should this time around be any different??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I'm just going to point out that way back in January, I said they almost certainly would not be able to pass all the separate appropriations bills regardless of what promises were made.  They took away a lot of the Speaker's power to ram stuff through, and with that small a majority, it's almost impossible.

If you want all the appropriations bills passed with only a 4-5 vote margin, you needed a Speaker with a lot of authority, and McCarthy doesn't have that.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
We have never ending CR's.   The whole House is FUBAR these days.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
We have never ending CR's.   The whole House Fedgov is FUBAR these days.

Fixed it for you @Wingnut
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
There is not a damn thing to complain about.  Anything Biden does has to be better than anything Trump did or would do!  REMEMBER?
 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
   :dumpster:  twilight zonexxxx :dumpster:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline bilo

I'm just going to point out that way back in January, I said they almost certainly would not be able to pass all the separate appropriations bills regardless of what promises were made.  They took away a lot of the Speaker's power to ram stuff through, and with that small a majority, it's almost impossible.

If you want all the appropriations bills passed with only a 4-5 vote margin, you needed a Speaker with a lot of authority, and McCarthy doesn't have that.

Caving on the debt ceiling gives us plenty of evidence why we should not trust the Speaker with any power.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Caving on the debt ceiling gives us plenty of evidence why we should not trust the Speaker with any power.

Then don't expect your separate appropriations bills.  Not going to happen.