Author Topic: Why Americans Left Church  (Read 510 times)

Offline Kamaji

Why Americans Left Church
« on: August 04, 2023, 12:38:28 pm »
Why Americans Left Church

They didn’t need another Sunday supper club.

Carmel Richardson
Aug 4, 2023

The downfall of public Christianity in modern America has been well documented. What has not been studied nearly as closely, however, has been the source of the downfall, the devil driving the great unawakening.

Two evangelicals are hoping to change this. In their soon to be released book The Great Dechurching, pastor Jim Davis and Gospel Coalition writer Michael Graham seek to answer this question with data. Together with political scientists Ryan P. Burge and Paul Djupe, whose survey of 7,000 Americans and their church habits forms the backbone of the discussion, the writers examine the reasons people say they are leaving the church. What they find, at least according to one advance review, is that, far from asking too much of their members, perhaps churches are not asking nearly enough.

As Christian magazine editor Jake Meador writes in his review of The Great Dechurching for the Atlantic, while religious abuse and moral corruption in churches have driven some people away, “a much larger share of those who have left church have done so for more banal reasons,” such as scheduling conflicts. Church just isn’t an important enough commitment to be worth the upkeep: “attendance ends up feeling like an item on a checklist that’s already too long.”

Writes Meador:

The book suggests that the defining problem driving out most people who leave is…just how American life works in the 21st century. Contemporary America simply isn’t set up to promote mutuality, care, or common life. Rather, it is designed to maximize individual accomplishment as defined by professional and financial success. Such a system leaves precious little time or energy for forms of community that don’t contribute to one’s own professional life or, as one ages, the professional prospects of one’s children.

Modern individualism, no doubt, has butchered community on the altar of individual achievement. But as destructive as this atomization has been, the church itself seems to have played a role in the slaughter. It has catered to this culture, with churches styling themselves like businesses attracting customers, rather than as guardians of the faith.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/why-americans-left-church/

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Why Americans Left Church
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 03:08:41 pm »
Christianity in the US is complex rather than homogeneous. E.G., without looking at Catholicism and Orthodoxy, there's the liberal mainline vs. Evangelical divide. Even that is an over-simplification. Among Evangelicals there are some "mainline" Lutheran and Reformed denominations, some Wesleyan denominations have been around quite a while, and there are Baptists, Pentecostals, and charismatics. Plus or minus Catholicism, the main denominations that have been steadily leaking people for decades have been the liberal mainline Protestants. Evangelical denominations and groups have been mostly growing, with some denominations experiencing some inter-denomination/group migration. Of course, with every generation, this could change.

IMO, the liberal mainline denominations are suffering from two major self-inflicted maladies; alienating members who are Christian believers by imposing euphemized anti-Christian ideas; not providing an actual reason to remain members and keep attending. Alienation + Purposelessness = Shrinkage.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 04:02:38 pm »
We have become the church of Laodicea.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 04:23:12 pm »
Americans left Church because Church left Godliness.

To be a Christian, you only need Faith in the Gospels.  Everything else came after Jesus and was created by fallible men, not God.

Institutions eventually devolve into pursuits of power and wealth, not living the words of Jesus as written in the Gospels.

As a Boston area Catholic, the Church Sex Abuse scandals were inexcusable.  Jesus calls upon us to help the meek, not exploit them.  The Church turned its back on its duty to shepherd and safeguard its flock.  The Church was a refuge for the wolves who preyed upon the most vulnerable of lambs.

I did not leave Church; the Church left Christ and the Gospels; I chose to stay with Christ and the Gospels.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 04:24:02 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 05:16:36 pm »
In the Gospels, Jesus avowed the Law of Moses multiple times (Matthew 5 being an example), and quoted from it and other OT scripture. Jesus recognized 3/4 of what we call the Bible as Scripture. Further, Jesus told his disciples that the Holy Spirit would remind them of what He taught, and would further guide them into truth. Jesus foretold what became the NT, including the Gospels. "Red Letter Christianity" is a pious-sounding spiritual fraud. There is no second-class scripture. The writers of the Gospels are or partnered with the writers of the rest of the NT.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:17:51 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 06:07:28 am »
Y'all are dancing around a few things, so let's list them.

Some synods and sects started having same sex marriages performed in their churches.

That didn't set too well with folks who had read the part about all that being an abomination.

Other doctrinal decay is present also.

I believe that through Jesus Christ's sacrifice, our sins are forgiven, but that comes with acknowledgement of those sins and repentance, not embracing them at the pulpit.
You just can't cater to everyone if you are to stand for something.

Francis' foray into Gaia worship politics isn't winning hearts and minds to The Lord, either. It bespeaks a different Master.

More than ever, those who are discerning are seeing false prophets abound, and are careful not to be in a flock led by one.

Just my $0.02, and worth every nickel you paid for it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 01:13:22 pm »
I think there's a dangerous conclusion to be drawn from the claim that "the mainline churches are shrinking and the traditional ones are growing!"

The traditional ones only seem to be growing because they are having large numbers of children and the culture makes it harder to leave. There's only one church I know that is steadily growing in our communities, and that's the Amish.

I'll share my experience as the chairman of a rural, family-oriented church in the Rust Belt. Before COVID, we had a couple of women (married) my age who were more or less regular attendees with their young children. After COVID, neither came back. This is even though we preach a traditional Gospel without the modern concessions to sin (in fact, we recently left a major mainline denomination over that issue, though in our case it was more related to property rights and avoiding the risk of being closed by the denomination). The church at this point is almost all over age 60.

It's an issue I see in a lot of churches. My previous church was doing fairly well with the younger generation, though even then it was mostly married couples with young children. As someone who was single—and was rejected by the lone single woman in the congregation, who ran away to another church after I tried, though that's another story that need not be shared here—that didn't help much, being surrounded by people who were ahead of me in life but did nothing to help me. (Ironically, that's what self-help tells you to do.) They'd have invite-a-friend weeks, then bring in more married couples with young children like them. I asked around, and they basically looked at me like there was nothing they could do, and I was the problem because I wasn't bringing my own friends. Needless to say, that's how I ended up at my current church, where I am a respected member of the congregation. They can't help me as much, either, but at least they appreciate me.

I just don't see the idea of "hey, if we all just go back to hardcore Reformed theology, lecture everyone on how they'll never measure up to God, and ban women from the pulpit based on a single out-of-context rule Paul put in over his churches" (that there's no evidence that it ever applied to the rest of Christendom and lots of evidence that it did not), "we'll have revival!" panning out. The ones that are "growing" now will see most of those young children eventually deconstruct. It's a bandage on a gushing wound that is our society collapsing, increasingly catering to a narrow, fundamentalist demographic. What works in Moscow, Idaho probably won't be as effective in Little Valley, New York.

But I also believe that this kind of falling away was foretold in the Gospels. We're not going to see the age of Acts in the early church where we're magically going to have thousands joining us.

That said, the church needs to find a way to get those who are falling away. How do we do that? I'm not sure yet. We need to provide aid to those who are in the church, for one. Matthew 7:9-10, Matthew 25:35-45 are key verses here. For singles, matchmaking NEEDS to be a priority. (See Genesis 2:18) That's the biggest crisis I've seen among young people in the church. At ages where their parents were married and had families, single men are struggling to find first dates. I have two friends at one of the larger evangelical churches in my area, and both of them are struggling in this department as well. Why this in particular? Because it's something we will not get in Heaven (Luke 20:35). We're fortunate in America that we don't have many physical needs such as food... but our interpersonal and spiritual needs are at the worst they've likely ever been, and that's the crisis we face that the Church is in position to address.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 01:25:18 pm »
In the Gospels, Jesus avowed the Law of Moses multiple times (Matthew 5 being an example), and quoted from it and other OT scripture. Jesus recognized 3/4 of what we call the Bible as Scripture. Further, Jesus told his disciples that the Holy Spirit would remind them of what He taught, and would further guide them into truth. Jesus foretold what became the NT, including the Gospels. "Red Letter Christianity" is a pious-sounding spiritual fraud. There is no second-class scripture. The writers of the Gospels are or partnered with the writers of the rest of the NT.
The Gospels were solely meant as a recording of what Jesus said. Each writer put his own interpretation of what that meant, but the red letters were quotes. If we are truly Christians, we put Christ above the words of corruptible men, and the words of those men in context with Christ.

Too often, especially in the American church, I have seen focus upon Paul's writings first and foremost (see the ever-popular Romans Road). But Paul was admittedly a wretched man with massive compulsion toward sin—hardly the foundation one should build upon. In fact, in 1 Corinthians, he notes how Apollos would have to follow him and set the churches he founded right, which was the beginning of the denominational schisms we see today in spades.

Of the Bible, I struggle with Paul's writings the most. It is a gospel that clashes with the one Christ gave us.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 02:17:21 pm »
   The laying on of hands and praying for my sick soul got way too personal in a Pentecostal Church when I was 13.  Never looked back. 
   With that being said I find this Thread very informative and Thank the contributors.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.