Author Topic: Professor fired for ‘faking data to prove lynching makes whites want longer sentences for blacks’  (Read 741 times)

Offline Kamaji

Professor fired for ‘faking data to prove lynching makes whites want longer sentences for blacks’

By Rikki Schlott
August 4, 2023

Florida State University criminology professor Eric Stewart was a guru of the claim that “systemic racism” infests America’s police and American society.

Now he’s out of a job on account of “extreme negligence” in his research.

The academic was fired after almost 20 years of his data — including figures used in an explosive study, which claimed the legacy of lynchings made whites perceive blacks as criminals, and that the problem was worse among conservatives — were found to be in question.

College authorities said he was being fired for “incompetence” and “false results.”

Among the studies he has had to retract were claims that whites wanted longer sentences for blacks and Latinos.

To date, six of Stewart’s articles published in major academic journals like Criminology and Law and Society Review between 2003 and 2019 have been fully retracted after allegations the professor’s data was fake or so badly flawed it should not have been published.

The professor’s termination came four years after his former graduate student Justin Pickett blew the whistle on his research.

Pickett said they had worked together in 2011 researching whether the public was demanding longer sentences for black and Hispanic criminals as those minority populations grew, with the paper claiming they did. But Stewart had fiddled the sample size to deliver that result when the real research did not, Pickett said.

When the investigation into Stewart began in 2020, he claimed he was the victim and that Pickett “essentially lynched me and my academic character.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/04/professor-fired-for-faking-data-to-prove-whites-want-longer-sentences-for-blacks/

Offline Kamaji

IMHO, this is noteworthy because it's so rare - most black racists simply get protected by the rest of the liberal establishment, the same way that the Church used to hide pedophilic priests.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
So this guy started publishing false articles in peer-reviewed journals in 2003, and it took 20 years before he was found out.  Which means 20 years of people reading/citing/and relying on this kind of crap in political arguments, etc..

This is why the whole leftist predisposition to rely on "experts" and "academic studies" is bogus.  You simply cannot trust them.  Just a fact.

Offline Kamaji

So this guy started publishing false articles in peer-reviewed journals in 2003, and it took 20 years before he was found out.  Which means 20 years of people reading/citing/and relying on this kind of crap in political arguments, etc..

This is why the whole leftist predisposition to rely on "experts" and "academic studies" is bogus.  You simply cannot trust them.  Just a fact.

:thumbsup:

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Professor fired for ‘faking data to prove lynching makes whites want longer sentences for blacks,’ 6 studies retracted
By Rikki Schlott
August 4, 2023 7:00am  Updated

Florida State University criminology professor Eric Stewart was a guru of the claim that “systemic racism” infests America’s police and American society.

Now he’s out of a job on account of “extreme negligence” in his research.

The academic was fired after almost 20 years of his data — including figures used in an explosive study, which claimed the legacy of lynchings made whites perceive blacks as criminals, and that the problem was worse among conservatives — were found to be in question.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/04/professor-fired-for-faking-data-to-prove-whites-want-longer-sentences-for-blacks/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 02:30:12 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Hello all.  New here.

This should not be shocking at all.

I just wrote a letter to my son’s upcoming US History teacher, who is also department head and head of his “Model UN” club.

They made the students get the “Stamped from the Beginning” book by that “anti-racist” author, Ibram Kendi.

Some negative reviews of it include that he doesn’t even give good sources for most of his info.

I for one am just plain sick of the spin always foisted on us to hate this country.  And basically I said so.  I have to balance but these teachers need to hear some blowback.

And this guy sounds like he deserved every bit of punishment.  But had to continue accusing people, libeling, false witness that they’re just out to get him.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline goatprairie

A new myth being propagated by many black leftists and helped by Biden Veep Kamala Harris's false claim, is that black people are far more likely to get better medical treatment from black doctors than white doctors.
A bogus report of black babies surviving by being treated by black doctors at twice the rate over white doctors is being disseminated all over the country.
The report has been debunked as having very faulty conclusions and procedures. But they are now attempting to claim that black people get bad treatment from white doctors as compared to black doctors.
There is no way that can be true as there simply aren't enough black doctors in the country to make that claim. As black doctors are usually at the bottom of graduating classes, the idea that blacks are going to get inferior treatment from white doctors compared to black doctors is absurd on the surface.
That's not to say that people can't get treated poorly or inadequately from white doctors. I've got my own complaints about shabby or inferior treatment from white doctors, and I'm white.
What this will do is not only create another phony racial issue, it will probably end up causing black people to get poorer treatment they would normally get by doubting the competence of white medical professionals.

Offline Kamaji

Hello all.  New here.

This should not be shocking at all.

I just wrote a letter to my son’s upcoming US History teacher, who is also department head and head of his “Model UN” club.

They made the students get the “Stamped from the Beginning” book by that “anti-racist” author, Ibram Kendi.

Some negative reviews of it include that he doesn’t even give good sources for most of his info.

I for one am just plain sick of the spin always foisted on us to hate this country.  And basically I said so.  I have to balance but these teachers need to hear some blowback.

And this guy sounds like he deserved every bit of punishment.  But had to continue accusing people, libeling, false witness that they’re just out to get him.

:thumbsup:

As a parent, you'll have to constantly fight with them.