Author Topic: Hiding in plain sight: Warfare in the electromagnetic spectrum  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hiding in plain sight: Warfare in the electromagnetic spectrum
By Maj. Gen. Jeth Rey
 Aug 1, 08:00 AM

Something is wrong. Gas stations are unable to process credit cards due to unknown equipment failure. Cash registers and scanners are inoperable at grocery stores. Reports are coming in that traffic signals are out in multiple major U.S. cities, causing chaos on the ground. Halfway around the world, U.S. military aircraft are grounded due to increased jamming in the war zone. We discover that the movement of key political leaders is being tracked in advance of a direct attack.

Although this scenario is imagined, the reality of 2023 is that our connectivity to, dependence on, and risk because of the electromagnetic spectrum, or EMS, has never been greater. Because the Department of Defense will never have protected access to the EMS, U.S. adversaries such as Russia, China, and Iran have the capability to detect, restrict, or deny the EMS at the time and place of their choosing. Russia’s current use of advanced electronic surveillance to detect, locate, and target Ukraine positions is a clear reminder that detection equals horrific destruction. We must address the U.S.’s ability to hide in plain sight on the battlefield by reducing electromagnetic signature, improving training, and sensing and understanding electronic signals.

If we are to reduce the Army’s electromagnetic signature, we must invest in smart power technology that reduces heat signature, decoy technology that confuses the enemy, and integrated capabilities that obscure electronic signals. Most of the U.S. military’s weapons systems---radios, ships, tanks, airplanes, drones, satellites, and rockets---depend on the electromagnetic spectrum to operate. Likewise, the U.S. military depends on the electromagnetic spectrum to conduct operations and keep troop morale high.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2023/08/01/hiding-in-plain-sight-warfare-in-the-electromagnetic-spectrum/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson