Author Topic: US Army developing LASSO tank-killing drone for infantry  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Army developing LASSO tank-killing drone for infantry
« on: August 02, 2023, 01:23:54 pm »
US Army developing LASSO tank-killing drone for infantry
By Colin Demarest
 Jul 31, 10:49 AM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army kicked off a program to quickly provide soldiers a portable, tank-busting drone, amid ballooning use of similar equipment in the Russia-Ukraine war.

The service’s Program Executive Office Soldier, or PEO Soldier, this month announced the Low Altitude Stalking and Strike Ordnance venture, or LASSO, and a responsibility for lethal unmanned systems, adding that the need for such gear is “urgent.”

LASSO systems can be carried by troops, use a tube for launches and are strapped with a lethal payload, according to the office, which specializes in equipment including uniforms, body armor, night-vision devices and guns. The kit also features an electro-optical and infrared sensor, precision flight controls and the ability to track and engage far-off targets, it said.

The one-way, or “suicide” drone is tailored for infantry brigade combat teams and is expected to be in soldiers’ hands in 2024. Feedback and updates will follow.

https://www.defensenews.com/unmanned/uas/2023/07/31/us-army-developing-lasso-tank-killing-drone-for-infantry/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson