Author Topic: Pence commits political suicide  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Pence commits political suicide
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2023, 05:39:08 pm »
Seems to me if I recall correctly, I was young, Nixon had the election stolen from him when Papa Joe bought the election for JFK. Nixon, again if I recall correctly, didn't fight the results because he knew it would be bad for America, and he didn't spend the next for years crying about it everywhere. Was there a lot of vote tampering, yeah I think there was, but the democrats were in control in the courts, the media and congress.

Have you ever thought that if maybe Nixon and the other Republicans had loudly complained about the Democrats crookedness back then, the country might not be in the mess it is in now?
Let it burn.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2023, 06:14:28 pm »
Have you ever thought that if maybe Nixon and the other Republicans had loudly complained about the Democrats crookedness back then, the country might not be in the mess it is in now?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2023, 06:16:53 pm »

In 2023, do you want Kamala Harris to have the ability to nullify a GOP Presidential Election win?  Oh, but that's different because that's not our guy.

There was a time in this country when we did not suffer sore losers and their incessant whining.

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2023, 06:28:07 pm »
I think it would have gone nowhere, the media was almost as biased, Nixon came off looking poorly during the debate due to being sick and the wonderful make up that was put on him, JFK was touted as a war hero and unarguably presented better so I really don't think there would have been a change in the election. Still being a kid I can't say what the public would have been willing to do if there was a challenge by Nixon and the GOP, but obviously, like with Trump the GOP had no desire to make waves. It's like asking what would be different now if JFK was taken out? He was a much more more of a centrist than Lyndon BJ, and even with his issues no where near the despicable piece of excrement Johnson 'I'll have those N*****s voting democrat for a hundred years' was. What ifs are great, but we have to live in today.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2023, 06:52:45 pm »
So rogue elements of a state government could send any list they chose, and the VP is bound to open it.

No.  Each state, via its public laws, has a process for certifying its electors.  That process isn't hidden, so the identify of the electors and how they voted isn't secret.  Assuming the transmittal envelope has the correct certification on the outside, that's the only one that would have to be opened.

But lets assume for a second that someone slipped in a second certification envelope, and you couldn't tell from the outside which is legitimate.  What would almost certainly happen is that both would be opened, and the information inside would be compared against the publicly available information regarding the identify of the official electors and how they voted.

The Constitution, by the way, doesn't state who actually gives the "official count" of the ballots.  It doesn't say Congress, and it doesn't say the VP.  And I think that's because that action was viewed as ministerial -- simple math and acknowledgement of the totals rather than anything to which some discretion was attached.  They were just witnesses acknowledging an undisputed fact, not someone making a substantive decision.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:13:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2023, 07:17:17 pm »
I think it would have gone nowhere, the media was almost as biased, Nixon came off looking poorly during the debate due to being sick and the wonderful make up that was put on him, JFK was touted as a war hero and unarguably presented better so I really don't think there would have been a change in the election.

With the level of corruption in Chicago, it is conceivable the democrats planted 9,000 votes.  Probably Nixon realized he was unlikely to find a similar number of votes in Missouri, a much smaller state, which would have resulted in no electoral majority and a democrat congress giving the election to Kennedy.  To win he would have needed another 22k votes in New Jersey after flipping Missouri and Illinois or Texas (46k votes) and it just wasn't happening.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2023, 08:13:05 pm »

No.  Wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

Actually, I think that if Nixon had kept up his whining as long as Trump has, he probably would never have been elected President in 1968.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:15:24 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2023, 08:21:52 pm »
The fact that the Republican Party never put up a fight (unless it was for more military spending or pork barrel projects, often the same thing) is why Trump has a following today.
Let it burn.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2023, 08:25:18 pm »
The fact that the Republican Party never put up a fight (unless it was for more military spending or pork barrel projects, often the same thing) is why Trump has a following today.
:yowsa:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2023, 11:35:26 pm »
In 2023, do you want Kamala Harris to have the ability to nullify a GOP Presidential Election win?  Oh, but that's different because that's not our guy.

There was a time in this country when we did not suffer sore losers and their incessant whining.
I do want Congress to be able to nullify fraudulent elections, conducted outside the boundaries of the laws of the state in which they were conducted, as 2020 was done using emergency powers to expand eligibility for forms of voting known to favor Democrats for the past 20+ years, without actually passing a law that allowed those changes.

2020 was not a valid election.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2023, 12:25:03 am »
I do want Congress to be able to nullify fraudulent elections, conducted outside the boundaries of the laws of the state in which they were conducted, as 2020 was done using emergency powers to expand eligibility for forms of voting known to favor Democrats for the past 20+ years, without actually passing a law that allowed those changes.

2020 was not a valid election.

Thank you @jmyrlefuller 100% correct!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien