Author Topic: To innovate, DoD must be allowed to move faster  (Read 159 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
To innovate, DoD must be allowed to move faster
« on: August 01, 2023, 04:00:21 pm »
To innovate, DoD must be allowed to move faster
By Michael R. Bloomberg
 Monday, Jul 24

The U.S. private sector innovates like no other. American companies quickly adapt to changing market demands, develop and integrate new technologies at scale, deliver products with exceptional speed and compete to win. This dynamic environment has become the benchmark of success in the modern world, but sadly and needlessly, it is often foreign terrain for the U.S. military.

At the center of the problem is the Defense Department’s antiquated acquisition system, which is hindering our military’s ability to acquire emerging technologies at the speed we need. The system, overseen by Congress and built decades ago, is entangled in a web of bureaucracy and outdated processes. That lack of agility is inhibiting our service members from having and using the superior technology that American companies are pioneering.

Bridging the gap between the private sector and the Pentagon is a crucial national security challenge that lies at the heart of the Defense Innovation Board, which I chair in partnership with other leaders in business, technology and the military.

Over the past year, I’ve spoken with a number of acquisition officers and civilians in the U.S. military. They know the problems better than anyone, yet they have surprisingly limited authority over their budgets and portfolios.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/2023/07/24/to-innovate-dod-must-be-allowed-to-move-faster/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: To innovate, DoD must be allowed to move faster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 04:03:56 pm »
I remember when Trump tried to get congress to move faster, a sense of urgency, he was rejected by Comrade McConnell who said that's not how things work around there.  So, I hold little chance the military is going to move faster any time soon. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson