Author Topic: Study finds what makes the perfect sandwich  (Read 2456 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Study finds what makes the perfect sandwich
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 12:04:00 pm »
Well,she would be about 22,with red hair,green eyes,and the body of a 20  year old Raquel Welch........

Clothing would be optional.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 02:23:14 pm »
Sorry, but the best sandwich is not to be easily found on this side of the Pond.  The Coronation Chicken Sandwich, a staple in the U.K. since it was devised to celebrate the coronation of the late Elizabeth II, is simply wonderful.  And the really amazing thing about sandwiches over there is whether on a train or at a supermarket, there are a tremendous variety of premade sandwiches that are genuinely good -- Coronation Chicken on soft onion bread, simply tops the list.  Here in the U.S. a premade sandwich is a thing to be devoutly avoided, not so in Britain.

I spent quite a bit of time in the U. K. years ago and ate a lot of fish and chips because almost everything else was nearly inedible.  I missed the sandwiches entirely.   :shrug:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 09:57:46 pm »
Couldn't agree more.
But fresh off the vine from a backyard garden ...  nothing better in this world.
There's actually a reason for that.

The breeds of tomato that are commercially grown are specifically grown because they all have nearly identical ripening periods, meaning they can be harvested by machine. Unfortunately most of these breeds are also bland.

But most garden breeds, since they're picked by hand, don't need that degree of specificity. In fact, in a garden setting, fruits that ripen over the course of a broader period might be preferable. So flavor doesn't have to be sacrificed.

I do have a liking for a lot of garden tomato breeds. Smaller breeds, I'll even dehydrate them.

If ya can't get fresh tomatoes...Romas are pretty good.
Romas are at least a partial exception, since they're a sauce tomato and they HAVE to retain their flavor if the recipe's going to work!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Kamaji

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 09:58:59 pm »
There's actually a reason for that.

The breeds of tomato that are commercially grown are specifically grown because they all have nearly identical ripening periods, meaning they can be harvested by machine. Unfortunately most of these breeds are also bland.

But most garden breeds, since they're picked by hand, don't need that degree of specificity. In fact, in a garden setting, fruits that ripen over the course of a broader period might be preferable. So flavor doesn't have to be sacrificed.

I do have a liking for a lot of garden tomato breeds. Smaller breeds, I'll even dehydrate them.
 Romas are at least a partial exception, since they're a sauce tomato and they HAVE to retain their flavor if the recipe's going to work!

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 10:09:35 pm »
My tomatoes are just now starting to ripen, which is behind their usual schedule. No matter - they're still delicious!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 11:57:10 pm »
My tomatoes are just now starting to ripen, which is behind their usual schedule. No matter - they're still delicious!
Still waiting for mine to turn color...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 01:03:53 am »
Thing have dried up about the right time, the tomatoes are excellent.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2023, 01:50:25 am »

My spring crop of tomatoes is just about done due to the very hot weather conditions here. That's normal for us.

I have my fall crop seedlings well underway now and hope to put those in the ground around August 15th.

Hat tip to @jmyrlefuller who apparently understands the difference between market tomatoes and the home-grown varieties very well. ALL the varieties I grow are those which will produce over months instead of days or weeks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 02:42:55 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2023, 02:09:32 am »
Hot pastrami (or corned beef) piled high on rye bread with mustard, along with two full-sour Kosher pickles and a draft beer.
Close, for me it's a Reuben made right with Russian dressing.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2023, 02:39:41 am »

oh yum! my favorites are chicken salad and bacon lettuce and tomato
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2023, 03:28:31 am »

oh yum! my favorites are chicken salad and bacon lettuce and tomato
Yeah I can go with the BLT alright, unfortunately chicken salad just doesn't sit right in my gut, but there is a little Italian deli near me(unlike NY where there must be tons, HB, CA has very few) that bakes it's own bread everyday and makes a great Cuban which is another favorite.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2023, 03:58:49 am »
My spring crop of tomatoes is just about done due to the very hot weather conditions here. That's normal for us.

I have my fall crop seedlings well underway now and hope to put those in the ground around August 15th.

Hat tip to @jmyrlefuller who apparently understands the difference between market tomatoes and the home-grown varieties very well. ALL the varieties I grow are those which will produce over months instead of days or weeks.

Mine are still green--we only get one shot at it here. (Last frost can be as late as the second week of June.)

Usually we get to the first or second week of September before we get the first 'fall' frost...If it isn't too hard, I can cover the garden with a cargo parachute overnight, and most will survive.

Otherwise, harvest everything, just strip it, and wrap the tomatoes in newspaper. Most will ripen, some will go bad. But I'll have relatively fresh tomatoes for another month.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2023, 05:43:58 am »
Mine are still green--we only get one shot at it here. (Last frost can be as late as the second week of June.)

Usually we get to the first or second week of September before we get the first 'fall' frost...If it isn't too hard, I can cover the garden with a cargo parachute overnight, and most will survive.

Otherwise, harvest everything, just strip it, and wrap the tomatoes in newspaper. Most will ripen, some will go bad. But I'll have relatively fresh tomatoes for another month.

Next time you have to harvest the green ones put them in a carboard box (not touching each other), throw in an unpeeled banana, and cover them up. they will all ripen unless they have been previously damaged in some manner.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2023, 06:07:35 am »
Next time you have to harvest the green ones put them in a carboard box (not touching each other), throw in an unpeeled banana, and cover them up. they will all ripen unless they have been previously damaged in some manner.
I will If I have a batch I want to ripen at the same time. I would reckon the ethylene given off by the banana would 'push' ripening. Otherwise, they ripen a few at a time, about the pace I use them (and that stretches them out). I just won't buy 'storebought' tomatoes.

C S Lewis

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2023, 06:48:32 am »
Sorry, but the best sandwich is not to be easily found on this side of the Pond.  The Coronation Chicken Sandwich, a staple in the U.K. since it was devised to celebrate the coronation of the late Elizabeth II, is simply wonderful.  And the really amazing thing about sandwiches over there is whether on a train or at a supermarket, there are a tremendous variety of premade sandwiches that are genuinely good -- Coronation Chicken on soft onion bread, simply tops the list.  Here in the U.S. a premade sandwich is a thing to be devoutly avoided, not so in Britain.

I loved UK supermarket sandwiches and fresh made meals!  My favorite sandwich was wheat bread, boiled egg and bacon.  They put a Mayo/brown mustard mix on it. It tasted so good.  Their bread is so good. It’s so much better than our supermarket bread.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Online Kamaji

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2023, 02:07:52 pm »
I loved UK supermarket sandwiches and fresh made meals!  My favorite sandwich was wheat bread, boiled egg and bacon.  They put a Mayo/brown mustard mix on it. It tasted so good.  Their bread is so good. It’s so much better than our supermarket bread.

That sounds pretty good!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2023, 05:03:30 am »
Right now I'm on a liverwurst kick. Love me some liverwurst from H-E-B deli on plain bread with Dijon mustard and sliced onion. Once I get that craving out of my system, I'll probably move on to olive loaf. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2023, 06:38:26 am »

I second this ^^^.... A good Reuben is hard to beat.

No Tomato for me though... Wife loves them. We grow our own, have been harvesting for over a month now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 06:40:39 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2023, 11:07:42 am »
I've always loved a good BLT, but that was before I discovered my True Love of a sandwich.  Cajun-seasoned fried shrimp, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and pickles, filling a baguette that’s slathered with remoulade sauce.