Author Topic: New York Times decries heat island effect as cities sprawl, but also advocates population growth via  (Read 357 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York Times decries heat island effect as cities sprawl, but also advocates population growth via low-skill immigration
July 31, 2023by philg
Every day this summer, the New York Times offers a climate panic story. “Tracking Dangerous Heat in the U.S.” is updated daily and Phoenix is always a dangerous place to be (folks in Atlanta can get away with “Extreme Caution”; South Florida is literally toast):

The same newspaper previously alerted us to the connection between urban growth and oppressive heat. Example from 2018… “5 Ways to Keep Cities Cooler During Heat Waves”:

Cities can be miserable during heat waves. All that concrete and asphalt soaks up the sun’s rays, pushing temperatures up even further. Tall buildings can block cooling breezes. Exhaust from cars and air-conditioners just adds to the swelter.

This is known as the urban heat island effect: A large city’s built-up environment can make it 2 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the surrounding countryside during the day and up to 22 degrees warmer at night. That extra heat is becoming a serious public health problem.

https://philip.greenspun.com/blog/2023/07/31/new-york-times-decries-heat-island-effect-as-cities-sprawl-but-also-advocates-population-growth-via-low-skill-immigration/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline berdie

I have always been of the opinion that if humans caused any heat increase, it was due to the cities. But that isn't going to cause some kind of world wide crisis.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Areas in blue experiencing climate catastrophe.

The rest are having Summer
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis