Author Topic: The National War Dog Cemetery is in the Pacific  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The National War Dog Cemetery is in the Pacific
« on: July 29, 2023, 01:21:52 pm »
The National War Dog Cemetery is in the Pacific
By
Miguel Ortiz
Updated on
Jul 17, 2023

Many of these dogs from World War II were killed in action, which led to the creation of the National War Dog Cemetery.

Military working dogs are a crucial part of America's armed forces. With their keen senses, athletic build and fierce loyalty, dogs have served alongside human handlers in many of conflicts. During WWII, the U.S. expanded its use of war dogs to root out Japanese defenders entrenched on Pacific islands. Many of these dogs were killed in action, which led to the creation of the National War Dog Cemetery.

war dogs in the pacific
Marine war dogs and their handlers were crucial to America's fight in the Pacific (U.S. Marine Corps)

Located in the western Pacific, the island of Guam has been a U.S. territory since 1898 when it was acquired following the Spanish-American War. It hosts American military installations, making it a target for the Japanese during WWII. Along with Pearl Harbor and the Philippines, Guam was hit by a surprise attack. The Japanese captured the island on December 10, 1941.

marine corps dogs
Marines trained German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois and Doberman Pinschers (U.S. Marine Corps)

Two and a half years later, In July 1944, U.S. Marines launched an amphibious invasion to retake Guam. Alongside the 3rd and 77th Marine Divisions, the 2nd and 3rd War Dog Platoons participated in the Second Battle of Guam. Serving as sentries and scouts, the dogs and their handlers participated in over 450 patrols. The dogs were used to explore intricate cave systems, detect explosive traps and guard sleeping Marines.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-life/the-national-war-dog-cemetery-is-in-the-pacific/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson