Author Topic: Mark Milley’s Bureaucratic Proposals Could Lose Us the Next War  (Read 289 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mark Milley’s Bureaucratic Proposals Could Lose Us the Next War
By Seth Cropsey / July 24, 2023

General Mark Milley, the 20th chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is about to retire after a four-year term and a 43-year career of military service. It is therefore telling that a man with such a long career would, to cement his legacy, recommend establishing a “Leader of a Joint Futures Organization” — that is, a sort of “future jointness czar.”

Milley’s argument, in the just-published issue of Joint Force Quarterly, demonstrates the U.S. military’s direction — one that undermines the power of the services and centralizes strategic, operational and technological development within a pseudo general staff. This will create a military organization incapable of adapting to future conflict and reacting to unexpected technological change.

Milley’s proposals, in short, will lose the U.S. its next war.

Few positions in the American state have as much cultural power as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs. That is to say, the position has immense influence on the thinking, structure, processes and direction of an immense organization — in this case, the U.S. security system — in shifting it toward a new objective. Milley’s views must therefore be read carefully.

https://yorktowninstitute.org/mark-milleys-bureaucratic-proposals-could-lose-us-the-next-war/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:04:56 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mark Milley’s Bureaucratic Proposals Could Lose Us the Next War
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 01:05:31 pm »
This should come as no surprise to anyone! **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Mark Milley’s Bureaucratic Proposals Could Lose Us the Next War
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 04:59:08 am »
Harmonization leads to fewer eyes on the problem from different viewpoints. THat spectrum of viewpoints will be essential in fighting the next war if it is to be done on the terms and with the technology of the next war, rather than with the technology and tactics of past wars, something that has guaranteed heavy casualties at best, and loss in the conflict at worst.

Each emphasis of the several armed forces may be at times inconvenient for the others, but those may also lead to solving problems with a little coordination in ways novel enough to defeat novel attacks.

Now will someone in the JCS kindly recognize the invasion of our country by millions of military-age single men is likely to be a form of asymmetrical warfare, or at least the beginnings of such a conflict?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis