Author Topic: Air Force shows off its Rapid Dragon cruise missile system on China’s doorstep  (Read 179 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force shows off its Rapid Dragon cruise missile system on China’s doorstep
Story by Max Hauptman • Wednesday

During a multi-nation training exercise in the Pacific this month, the Air Force tested out one of its newest and most unique weapons — a demonstration that Chinese officials likey were paying close attention to.

US forces in the Pacific wrapped up Mobility Guardian 2023 on July 21, a sprawling exercise testing the range and capabilities of some of the Air Force’s largest cargo planes. Sometime during the week, a freighter conducted a test of the Air Force’s Rapid Dragon, a unique system that launches long-range cruise missiles from cargo planes by first dropping them by parachute from the rear of a cargo plane.

Normally, cruise missiles — which can fly to targets hundreds and even thousands of miles away — are only deployed by large bombers like the B-1 or B-52. But with Rapid Dragon, the Air Force’s fleet of normally unarmed and cargo-only C-17s and C-130s might get in the fight.

It’s a capability that Derek Solen, a senior researcher at the U.S. Air Force’s China Aerospace Studies Institute, thinks will catch the attention of China’s military, widely known as the People’s Liberation Army, or PLA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/air-force-shows-off-its-rapid-dragon-cruise-missile-system-on-china-s-doorstep/ar-AA1eoNge?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=271afb5a6554422ca6385f6a7c2cc1ec&ei=33
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson