Author Topic: Affirmative action for rich kids: It's more than just legacy admissions  (Read 490 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2023/07/24/1189443223/affirmative-action-for-rich-kids-its-more-than-just-legacy-admissions

by Greg Rosalsky
July 24, 2023

Affirmative action for minority kids may now be dead. But a blockbuster new study, released today, finds that, effectively, affirmative action for rich kids is alive and well. They may or may not always do it on purpose, but a group of the most prestigious private colleges in America are handing a massive admissions advantage to rich kids over less affluent kids — even when they have the same SAT scores and academic qualifications.

The study is by Raj Chetty and David J. Deming, of Harvard University, and John N. Friedman, of Brown University. We at Planet Money have already dubbed Raj Chetty the Beyoncé of Economics because of his long list of popular hits in empirical economics. And, let me tell you, this is another ***Flawless classic in his catalog. I mean, not only is the study eye-opening, but Chetty is also kind of sticking his neck out here, by shining a spotlight on the admission practices of his employer, Harvard. But they can't fire Beyoncé! (He has tenure).

(excerpt)

Chetty says, their data is much richer than previous studies, which relied on small surveys instead of the massive administrative datasets that Chetty, Deming and Friedman use in this study. As a result, the economists are able to zero in and see "upper-tail" outcomes like the likelihood of these kids reaching the top 1% of income earners. Previous studies couldn't see outcomes in the same detail. And that's where Chetty and his colleagues are finding significant advantages when kids go to these elite private schools.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

Cute rhetorical game; now they want to call legacy admissions “affirmative action” in order to claim that it’s just more white supremacist racism. 

Legacy admissions are the same as the “super shopper” loyalty cards you get from the grocery store you frequent, and are not racist in the slightest.

Liberals really disgust me.  They are such racist pieces of shit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It is how it has always worked.

Kent is a legacy, His brother was Fred Dorfman.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Cute rhetorical game; now they want to call legacy admissions “affirmative action” in order to claim that it’s just more white supremacist racism. 

Legacy admissions are the same as the “super shopper” loyalty cards you get from the grocery store you frequent, and are not racist in the slightest.

Liberals really disgust me.  They are such racist pieces of shit.

@Kamaji

Really?

How many blacks have fathers,grandfathers,and great-grandfather that had automatic admission to the Ivy League Universities?

Or how many of American Indian or Asian descent,AFATG?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

Affirmative action is a false label covering up racism that was intended to (so it was claimed) address the consequences of prior racism - legacy admissions have nothing to do with past problems, certainly not racism or other forms of invidious discrimination, but are instead intended to build brand loyalty and to respond to the reasonable expectations of alumni - in no small part in order to continue milking alumni for support after graduation.

These people are simply trying to build a new false narrative that legacy admissions are nothing more than another disguised way of perpetuating pro-white racism; this is a lie.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There is no denying that the most elite of elite institutions are acting as gatekeepers of society, and that the legacy admissions process is essentially creating a new aristocracy. I have a hard time believing that this was what the Founders had in mind... or the authors of the Fourteenth Amendment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

There is no denying that the most elite of elite institutions are acting as gatekeepers of society, and that the legacy admissions process is essentially creating a new aristocracy. I have a hard time believing that this was what the Founders had in mind... or the authors of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Why would the drafters of the 14th Amendment have concerned themselves with legacy admissions to college?  In point of fact, at the time, most college was by, and for, the elites in society.  It was most definitely part of the social framework.