Author Topic: Note to the GOP -- Having a Clear Strategic Plan Is Far More Important Than Short-Term Tactical Wins  (Read 398 times)

Offline Kamaji

Note to the GOP -- Having a Clear Strategic Plan Is Far More Important Than Short-Term Tactical Wins

Bob Barr
Jul 27, 2023

There remains but two months before the current federal fiscal year ends September 30th. Half of that remaining period will be spent by lawmakers in their home states and districts during the traditional August recess.

When the Congress reconvenes after Labor Day, the Republican Party will be in a position to either strengthen its currently slim majority in the House, or risk losing it.

Much depends on whether the GOP can discipline itself to stick to a strategy that is laser-focused on the 2024 election, rather than on passing bits of legislation playing largely, if not solely to its base for short-term gain.

A key factor in this equation is whether the appropriations process -- which even in the most nonpartisan of times presents a messy picture to the American electorate – can be managed by Speaker McCarthy in such a way as to avoid a government “shutdown,” which already is being whispered in the corridors under the Capitol dome.

Some Republican budget hardliners claim to not “fear a government shutdown,” and others look to “stare down” Democrats. The fact of the matter is that in recent decades, so-called “shutdowns” rarely benefit the Party orchestrating them.

The best example of this is in the late 1995-early 1996 budget showdown between the then-new GOP House majority led by Speaker Newt Gingrich and President Bill Clinton, who at the time was still licking his wounds after a historic shellacking in the 1994 mid-terms.

At the time, that three-week long “shutdown” was a public relations nightmare for the House GOP majority (I know, I was there as a freshman Member from Georgia). But the long-term benefit was historic.

The goal of the stand-off was not simply to pass a fiscal year budget or to force Clinton to accept as part of that budget bill a particular appropriations rider. Rather, the plan was to draw a bright line in the sand that told Clinton and the American electorate that the new Republican majority was serious about balancing the budget and putting the nation’s fiscal house back in order.

The strategy worked wonderfully, and by the middle of the very next year (1997) both the House and the Senate had passed, and Clinton had signed legislation that in fact balanced the federal budget for the first time in nearly three decades.

Source:  https://townhall.com/columnists/bobbarr/2023/07/27/note-to-the-gop-having-a-clear-strategic-plan-is-far-more-important-than-short-term-tactical-wins-n2626259

Offline Kamaji

And that goes for a lot more than just budget fights.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Since Newt, the GOP and Strategy are simply two ships passing in the night.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Not just the GOP, "our side" is more concerned with "owning the libs" rather than coherent policy, new ideas, etc.

Offline Kamaji

Not just the GOP, "our side" is more concerned with "owning the libs" rather than coherent policy, new ideas, etc.

Exactly.  Hence the continued fixation on Trump, for example, whose primary skillset seems to be limited to pwning liberals on twitter and other social media.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

:yowsa:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Republican Congressmen have not been faithful to fiscal conservatism.  They only want to cut spending when a Democrat is in the White House.

Government spending needs to decrease, no matter which party is in the White House.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Couldn't get beyond the author's name. Sorry!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Couldn't get beyond the author's name. Sorry!

I actually think I voted for this guy for president!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

And that strategy hasn't worked out too well, electorally speaking
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy