Author Topic: Inside Biden’s decision to nominate the first female Joint Chief  (Read 357 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Inside Biden’s decision to nominate the first female Joint Chief
Here’s how the president ended up choosing Adm. Lisa Franchetti, even though she wasn’t Lloyd Austin’s first pick.

The president ultimately decided to go with Adm. Lisa Franchetti as the Navy’s next top officer due to her qualifications and background, said a U.S. official familiar with the discussions. | Jim Cleveland/U.S. Navy via AP

By LARA SELIGMAN, ALEXANDER WARD and PAUL MCLEARY

07/21/2023 09:46 PM EDT

Updated: 07/23/2023 07:21 PM EDT

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin presented President Joe Biden with a series of options for who should next serve as the Navy’s top officer in a meeting early this week.

One set had Adm. Samuel Paparo, who leads the U.S. Pacific Fleet, named as chief of naval operations. Both the president and the Pentagon chief were aware Paparo was Austin’s recommendation for the post.

Another slew of options put Adm. Lisa Franchetti, the Navy’s current No. 2, in the top job. If she were nominated and later confirmed, Franchetti would make history as the first woman in the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Biden debated those and other iterations with Austin, national security adviser Jake Sullivan and Chief of Staff Jeff Zients in the Oval Office sometime in the last 48 hours. In the end, Biden went with a version that named Franchetti as the CNO and Paparo for promotion to head up U.S. Indo-Pacific Command — the top military post in the Pacific.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/21/biden-franchetti-navy-joint-chiefs-00107699
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Inside Biden’s decision to nominate the first female Joint Chief
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 02:03:13 pm »
I'm rather surprised he picked a white person.  The likely new chairman won't be pleased. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 03:06:25 pm »
Is she LGBTQ+, or some other oppressed minority group?  With affirmative action hires, they prefer persons who can check multiple "diversity" boxes.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 09:47:09 pm »
"The president ultimately decided to go with Adm. Lisa Franchetti as the Navy’s next top officer due to her qualifications and background"

The primary "qualification" was... ladyparts.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 12:23:11 am »
Joe's decision? C'mon man! Joe can't decide between ccolate, vanilla or choloate chip and has brain lock if you throw Neopolitan into the mix... no Joe was told what his decision and he believed it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:56:34 am »
Joe's decision? C'mon man! Joe can't decide between ccolate, vanilla or choloate chip and has brain lock if you throw Neopolitan into the mix... no Joe was told what his decision and he believed it.

:yowsa: Exactly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien