Author Topic: Geography, Bureaucracy, and National Secuirty: The New Map  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Geography, Bureaucracy, and National Secuirty: The New Map
« on: July 26, 2023, 01:51:54 pm »
Geography, Bureaucracy, and National Secuirty: The New Map
.By Nikolas K. Gvosdev & Derek S. Reveron

Bottom Line
Translating broad strategic guidance into workable strategies and sustainable policies requires both an assessment of the international security environment as well as an analysis of what the domestic political system will permit. National interests are not enough to guide foreign policy.

The current bureaucratic/geographic organization of the US national security apparatus is not going to be torn down and replaced with a fresh blueprint. Instead, US national security must be executed through existing authorities and structures, but Americans should reconceptualize how they perceive geography, bureaucracy, and national security.

Reducing conceptual national security boundaries from eleven combatant commands and eight Department of State regional bureaus to three yields: trans-Atlantic, trans-Pacific, and trans-Indian regions. Without creating new organizations, this oceanic lens can harmonize existing authorities and organizations since most international trade moves by sea, the global Internet is connected by undersea cables, and Chinese expansionism is through the seas.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/07/26/geography_bureaucracy_and_national_secuirty_the_new_map_968664.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson