Author Topic: Schenectady County and Rotterdam officials see their state of emergency declarations as deterrent t  (Read 190 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Schenectady County and Rotterdam officials see their state of emergency declarations as deterrent to migrants
Many residents worry about "illegal immigrants'" potential impact on safety, schools

Paul Nelson
July 25, 2023
Updated: July 26, 2023 8:37 a.m.

ROTTERDAM – During a raucous meeting Monday night, many in the overflow crowd broke into applause after Town Board members unanimously passed a resolution declaring a state of emergency to halt more migrants from being brought to the municipality.

But it's unclear if the move, which is largely viewed as symbolic, will actually stem the tide of migrants coming into any given area.

Most speakers — who referred to the migrants as "illegal aliens" — addressed the issue of the 238 migrants being housed at the Super 8 motel on Curry Road, some since July 18, with many talking about what they perceive will be adverse impacts on town quality of life and safety, as well as the school system.   

“I live one mile from it,  and in 37 years I’ve never had to lock my doors, now I do,” said Brenda Torosian. “I don’t feel like the residents of Rotterdam should be footing this bill.”

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/political-leaders-residents-respond-migrants-18259546.php?IPID=Times-Union-Capital-Region-spotlight
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson