Author Topic: Proposed ballot measure mandates violent offenders serve most of prison time prior to parole  (Read 220 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Proposed ballot measure mandates violent offenders serve most of prison time prior to parole
July 23, 2023 By Sherrie Peif

DENVER —A man known for putting taxpayer protection initiatives on the Colorado ballot has shifted to criminal justice matters, saying the state legislature won’t do anything to get the criminals off the street, so he’s decided to take it to the people.

Michael Fields, President of Advance Colorado is currently pursuing a ballot initiative for 2024 that would mandate violent offenders serve a large percentage of their sentence before being released back into the public.

Fields said his initiative is the result of a 2021 crime in which Kenneth Dean Lee was arrested for impersonating an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent to an Aurora family and then sexually assaulting their 7-year-old daughter while they were in the home.

At the time of his arrest, Lee was on parole for similar crimes he committed a decade earlier. For those crimes, Lee was sentenced to 23 years to life but was released after serving nine and half years, or just 40 percent of his sentence.

https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2023/07/23/ballot-measure-violent-offenders-serve-most-of-sentence/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I have a better idea.  Make it so the perpetrator must serve the entire sentence. 22222frying pan
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson