Author Topic: Army orders add-on kits to convert 155-millimeter artillery shells into GPS-guided smart munitions  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army orders add-on kits to convert 155-millimeter artillery shells into GPS-guided smart munitions
July 20, 2023
PGK conversion uses signals from the Global Positioning System (GPS) to guide artillery shells to their targets with accuracy of less than 10 meters.
John Keller
Artillery 20 July 2023
NEWARK, N.J. – U.S. Army explosives experts are asking Northrop Grumman Corp. to provide precision-guidance kits to transform conventional 155-millimeter artillery shells into GPS-guided smart munitions.

Officials of the Army Contracting command in Newark, N.J., announced a $69.7 million order last month to the Northrop Grumman Armament Systems and Ammunition segment in Plymouth, Minn., for M1156 precision guidance kits for the Army.

The Northrop Grumman Precision Guidance Kit (PGK) transforms existing 155-millimeter high-explosive artillery projectiles into affordable satellite-guided precision weapons.

The PGK conversion kit uses signals from the Global Positioning System (GPS) to guide artillery shells to their targets with accuracy of less than 10 meters.

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/sensors/article/14296619/smart-munitions-gpsguided-artillery-shells
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson