Author Topic: Biden admin quietly settles with eco groups to restrict oil drilling in Gulf of Mexico  (Read 257 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 July 24, 2023 3:09pm EDT
Biden admin quietly settles with eco groups to restrict oil drilling in Gulf of Mexico
Settlement 'harms America’s energy independence," oil and gas industry groups say

By Thomas Catenacci | Fox News

The Biden administration quietly entered into a court settlement late Friday with a coalition of environmental groups who have pushed for more wildlife protections from offshore oil development activity.

In a stipulated stay agreement filed with the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) agreed to a number of conditions requested by the coalition of four eco groups led by the Sierra Club which, in response, agreed to temporarily pause litigation in the case. Fossil fuel industry groups, though, blasted the settlement, saying it would hamper domestic energy production.

"This private settlement agreement between the federal government and environmental activists places unfounded restrictions on operations in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico that severely hamper America's ability to produce energy in a region that is responsible for the lowest carbon-intensive barrels in the world," the American Petroleum Institute (API) and EnerGeo Alliance said in a joint statement.

"Despite no evidence to warrant this far-reaching ban on operations after extensive data collections, today’s agreement undermines the integrity of legitimate conservation and habitat protection efforts, violates the explicit directives of Congress in enacting the Inflation Reduction Act, and harms America’s energy independence," the two industry groups added.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-quietly-settles-eco-groups-restrict-oil-drilling-gulf-mexico

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline Idiot

Offline Kamaji

Yup, they HATE fossil fuels.

It's not just that, it's end-running Congressional policy and avoiding having to make difficult policy choices themselves by, in effect, coordinating with an NGO to have things done through litigation settlements that would have been subject to notice and comment, and significant public discussion and criticism if done through the regulatory or legislative process.

Offline LMAO

I wonder if that explains the $.10 uptick in gas prices locally?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

As servicing the Federal Debt eats away at the Annual Budget, the Feds will miss the revenue from those oil and gas leases, and miss out on revenue from economic activity that those leases could have contributed to GDP.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright