Author Topic: Why America Is Losing the Tech War with China  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why America Is Losing the Tech War with China
« on: July 24, 2023, 03:52:14 pm »
July 23, 2023   
Why America Is Losing the Tech War with China

It is simply too late to try to suppress China. The United States must either spend seriously on research and development, along with industrial policy, or it will lose the race for twenty-first-century technological supremacy.

by David P. Goldman

The semiconductor industry is unique in the scale of its R&D requirements. It budgeted $200 billion for R&D on $600 billion in 2021 sales (the actual total will be $160 billion or less due to market softness). No other industry devotes a third of revenue to R&D. The world’s largest industry, automobiles, spends about one-fourteenth of its revenue in R&D. For companies like Qualcomm, which earns a third of its revenue in China, or Nvidia, which earns one-fifth of revenue, the support available under the CHIPS act will not compensate for revenues lost due to federal regulation. These companies are lobbying the Biden administration to relax controls on China, and they have a good case—in fact, the same case the Pentagon made in December 2019.

Restrictions on technology exports to China at best are a stopgap. Eventually, China, which graduates more engineers each year than the rest of the world combined, will develop its own substitutes, as ASML, the world’s premier maker of chip lithography equipment, avers. Even as a stopgap, though, the controls are failing. They impose high costs on China in several ways but have not impeded the Fourth Industrial Revolution. On the contrary: the limited adoption of Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies by American industry is concentrated in firms that have major commitments to China.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techland/why-america-losing-tech-war-china-206664?page=0%2C2
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Why America Is Losing the Tech War with China
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 05:32:44 pm »
Let me see  if I understand this,ok?

We can't beat China into submission,so what we should do is surrender and give them the technology that we HAVE created in order to make them more successful?

We can THEN pay  them premium prices to produce chips we helped them create.

Does that about sum it up?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!