Author Topic: Their Lives Would Never Be the Same. In Some Ways, Neither Would Mine.  (Read 125 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Their Lives Would Never Be the Same. In Some Ways, Neither Would Mine.
JULY 10, 2023| JOEL SEARLS

I met Lt. Col. Benjamin Palmer when he took command of my first fleet unit in the summer of 2009. Later that year, I attended a Christmas party at his home, a place filled with family photographs and collages from each of his duty stations and their respective time zones. What stood out the most, though, was the warm way Palmer and his wife, Leafa, took time with each guest, making sure we all felt welcome and comfortable.

I saw Palmer for the last time the following December at the base officer’s club. I was transferring to a command squadron set to deploy to Afghanistan in two months’ time. Palmer and I both spoke about our futures—after 20-plus years in the Marines, he planned to retire and spend more time with his family. I remember feeling happy for him.

Soon, though, my thoughts focused on the task at hand: providing the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward) with a tactical headquarters and command of other units within the Marine Air Control Group during the troop surge in Afghanistan. Countless hours went into training to coordinate aircraft in difficult situations.

https://thewarhorse.org/marine-veteran-looks-for-meaning-in-afghanistan-war-deaths/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson