Author Topic: Republicans to be more selective in choosing Senate candidates in 2024  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Taxes were at the root of the American Revolution,and the other stuff fell into place as it evolved.

The whole "taxation without representation" thing.

Taxes were the last straw ---- the trigger, not the cause.

@sneakypete

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 03:15:54 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The TEA Party killed itself

I wouldn't know.  McConnell sabotaged it before anybody could see what they could do, then he bragged and bragged about it. 

I know you think the country is liberal and loves Biteme, but I demure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LMAO

I wouldn't know.  McConnell sabotaged it before anybody could see what they could do, then he bragged and bragged about it. 

I know you think the country is liberal and loves Biteme, but I demure.

They forced sequestration cuts in 2011. And the TEA Party had much better electoral success in the 2010 and 2014 midterms than the GOP has had recently even though Barack Obama did get reelected in 2012
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 03:41:38 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

Taxes were the last straw ---- the trigger, not the cause.

@sneakypete

No... I believe gun confiscation was the big bang... which they tried to get done AFTER the high taxes.

No... I believe gun confiscation was the big bang... which they tried to get done AFTER the high taxes.

And yet, it's mentioned nowhere  :shrug:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:06:56 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline roamer_1

And yet, it's mentioned nowhere  :shrug:

Go read some books.  happy77

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Go read some books.  happy77

Seemed to me there was a warning...one or two lamps in a tower....

I forget.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

Seemed to me there was a warning...one or two lamps in a tower....

I forget.

What sparked the whole enchilada was gun laws promoting confiscation through warrantless searches, blockading harbors to stop guns from coming in.. All after the Boston Tea Party. I do believe there was a famous massacre at a tavern that popped it off, but I don't remember it that finely (it's been a while since I read about the Revolutionary war).

But it sure as hell tells you where that 2nd Amendment came from.  happy77
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:40:33 am by roamer_1 »

Seemed to me there was a warning...one or two lamps in a tower....I forget.

The Boston Tea Party on December 16, 1773 was the trigger, setting it all in motion ....

The First Continental Congress convened on Sep 5, 1774 in response to the British Parliament's passage of the Intolerable Acts (called the Coercive Acts in England), which aimed to punish Massachusetts for the Boston Tea Party.

The First Continental Congress adjourned on Oct 22 1774. Delegates wanted time to see if the Declaration of Rights and the boycott of British goods would change British policy.  In the event that the Intolerable Acts were not lifted, the Congress decided to meet again.

May 1775. a month after Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts, the Second Continental Congress convened, the Continental Army was established.and the Congress began to seriously debate independence as the king proclaimed they were in open revolt and would hang.

@Cyber Liberty

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:58:54 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That large part doesn't include you.

I was referring to reactions to polls that came out last week showing that Trump was strongest among voters without a college degree.  I saw a lot of "those are the Real Americans" kind of stuff coming from a bunch of Trump people - As if education makes you less of a "real" American.

Not saying that's every Trump supporter - just that I've seen that argument made on multiple occasions at TOS and elsewhere.

@Maj. Bill Martin

It definitely doesn't include me,although I admit to not being impressed by people with liberal arts degrees.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Thanks for the History brushup, @Right_in_Virginia !
I will NOT comply.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The lanterns in the steeple of Boston's Old North Church were for Paul Revere and William Dawes to warn the residents of Lexington and Concord that the British were coming to confiscate the Massachusetts' militia's store of arms in Concord (via Lexington and Menotomy (now Arlington)) ...

... this is commemorated every year as the Massachusetts State Holidy, Patriots Day.

https://www.bostonteapartyship.com/paul-reveres-ride
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
They forced sequestration cuts in 2011. And the TEA Party had much better electoral success in the 2010 and 2014 midterms than the GOP has had recently even though Barack Obama did get reelected in 2012

The issue with the Tea Party is that Tea Party candidates can be really successful in some districts.  The problem is that they were simply too conservative to win in a great many others, which is why it was a House rather than Senate phenomenon.

That caused a lot of tension between Tea Partiers who (correctly, in my opinion) thought the country needed to be more aligned with them, and pragmatists who thought it would end up losing the GOP seats, and replacing them with more leftist Democrats (also correct, in my opinion).

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

It definitely doesn't include me,although I admit to not being impressed by people with liberal arts degrees.

Since the vast majority of those departments are now leftist, I'd agree.  It wasn't always that way, but it has been trending there for many decades.

I went to a school as conservative as they come (at the time), and probably a good half of my history/literature professors leaned left.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Those without college degrees are probaly the most negatively effected by Globalism, and feel left out, left behind, abandoned, forgotten, and ignored.

Hillary Clinton didn't do herself and the Dems any favors by labeling traditional working class folk as "deplorables."  That only confirmed the suspicion that elites have contempt for their fellow, less-privilged Americans.

Affirmative action for college admissions should consider if a person is the first in their family to attend colllege.

My wife's relatives have been getting college educations for at least four generations.

Me, my siblings, and my cousins were the first generation of our family to attend college.  Some finshed, some didn't.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

Since the vast majority of those departments are now leftist, I'd agree.  It wasn't always that way, but it has been trending there for many decades.

I went to a school as conservative as they come (at the time), and probably a good half of my history/literature professors leaned left.

I went to both a public and private university

I had one professor in the public university that was to the left of Mao. I also had a Sociology professor who was capital “L” libertarian

When I transferred to the private college, I found most of those professors apolitical. But most of those professors were nuns
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 03:24:13 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline cato potatoe

I think you are referring to diploma mill degree holders.  It's tangential to the discussion, but conservatives all but guaranteed the replacement of western civilization when they abandoned the liberal arts. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I think you are referring to diploma mill degree holders.  It's tangential to the discussion, but conservatives all but guaranteed the replacement of western civilization when they abandoned the liberal arts.

That is 100% true.

The Founders almost exclusively would have been considered students of the "liberal arts".   It's the particular things that are studied that cause the problems.

Of course, there is the added factor of government-sponsored education that leads far too many people to get those kind of degrees than are actually needed.

Offline mountaineer

In West Virginia, for example, Daines is backing Gov. Jim Justice (R) as he runs against fellow Republican Rep. Alex Mooney in the Senate primary. They’re both vying for the seat held by Democrat incumbent Sen. Joe Manchin, who hasn’t said whether he’s running for reelection.
Jim Justice is a horrible candidate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

The issue with the Tea Party is that Tea Party candidates can be really successful in some districts.  The problem is that they were simply too conservative to win in a great many others, which is why it was a House rather than Senate phenomenon.

That caused a lot of tension between Tea Partiers who (correctly, in my opinion) thought the country needed to be more aligned with them, and pragmatists who thought it would end up losing the GOP seats, and replacing them with more leftist Democrats (also correct, in my opinion).

@Maj. Bill Martin

Sometimes there just ain't ANY good answers,so ya plays the hand ya got and hope for the best.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@cato potatoe

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Can you clarify it a little/dumb it down  so I can understand it?

Offline roamer_1

That is 100% true.

The Founders almost exclusively would have been considered students of the "liberal arts".   It's the particular things that are studied that cause the problems.

Of course, there is the added factor of government-sponsored education that leads far too many people to get those kind of degrees than are actually needed.

The seven liberal arts are exactly the same as the occult seven sacred sciences... Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a while...

Offline roamer_1

The Boston Tea Party on December 16, 1773 was the trigger, setting it all in motion ....

The First Continental Congress convened on Sep 5, 1774 in response to the British Parliament's passage of the Intolerable Acts (called the Coercive Acts in England), which aimed to punish Massachusetts for the Boston Tea Party.

The First Continental Congress adjourned on Oct 22 1774. Delegates wanted time to see if the Declaration of Rights and the boycott of British goods would change British policy.  In the event that the Intolerable Acts were not lifted, the Congress decided to meet again.

May 1775. a month after Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts, the Second Continental Congress convened, the Continental Army was established.and the Congress began to seriously debate independence as the king proclaimed they were in open revolt and would hang.

@Cyber Liberty

and just what were those importable acts, @Right_in_Virginia , hmmm?