Author Topic: Republicans to be more selective in choosing Senate candidates in 2024  (Read 2954 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Republicans to be more selective in choosing Senate candidates in 2024
by Julia Mueller - 07/23/23 6:45 PM ET

Establishment Republicans are looking to play a more assertive role in ensuring their preferred candidates win in competitive Senate primaries as they work to flip the upper chamber next year.

There’s broad consensus that candidate quality factored in to the party’s failure to take back the Senate in last year’s midterms, with a number of controversial candidates endorsed by former President Trump losing in key states like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Georgia.

Now, GOP Senate leaders are doing whatever they can to prevent that from happening again in 2024. Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), the current head of the party’s campaign arm, has said he plans to be more active in recruiting candidates and selective in where the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) sends its support — a departure from his predecessor, Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), who argued it wasn’t his job to interfere in primaries.

In West Virginia, for example, Daines is backing Gov. Jim Justice (R) as he runs against fellow Republican Rep. Alex Mooney in the Senate primary. They’re both vying for the seat held by Democrat incumbent Sen. Joe Manchin, who hasn’t said whether he’s running for reelection.

In Montana, Daines has been supportive of businessman Tim Sheehy, who is challenging incumbent Democrat Sen. Jon Tester, and said he’d prefer to avoid a contentious primary as Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) weighs a bid that could potentially tee up an eventual Tester-Rosendale rematch of their 2018 Senate race.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4110793-republicans-to-play-more-selective-role-in-2024-candidates/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Turtle has spoken ... unwashed masses: sit-down, shutup, do what you're told you petulant children.

Mitch don't want no grassroots or MAGA Republicants F'ing with his Senate majority hopes.

The "system" is inverted when DC selects candidates for the provinces vs people choosing for themselves.

We tell Washington what to do.  They don't tell us what to do.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Turtle has spoken ... unwashed masses: sit-down, shutup, do what you're told you petulant children.

Mitch don't want no grassroots or MAGA Republicants F'ing with his Senate majority hopes.

The "system" is inverted when DC selects candidates for the provinces vs people choosing for themselves.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is exactly how you get antiestablishment kooks winning primaries—by taking sides against them and proving them right.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
This is exactly how you get antiestablishment kooks winning primaries—by taking sides against them and proving them right.

America was founded by "antiestablishment kooks".
Let it burn.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

888high58888 :beer:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Republicans to be more selective in choosing Senate candidates in 2024
by Julia Mueller - 07/23/23 6:45 PM ET

Establishment Republicans are looking to play a more assertive role in ensuring their preferred candidates win in competitive Senate primaries as they work to flip the upper chamber next year.

There’s broad consensus that candidate quality factored in to the party’s failure to take back the Senate in last year’s midterms, with a number of controversial candidates endorsed by former President Trump losing in key states like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Georgia.

@mystery-ak

Yeah,just like there was ANY chance of a candidate with an "R" behind his or her name ever had a chance to win any  race in any of those states.

As Stalin is quoted as having noted "It doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who counts the votes!"

Hell,I had as much  chance of winning an  election there than they did,and I am not from any of those states and have never been a political candidate for any seat.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DefiantMassRINO

Well,that IS the way it is supposed to work,but doesn't in real life. "Cronyism" rules in real life.

I'm with ya on "Mitch,the Bitch",though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:15:20 pm by sneakypete »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

This is doubling down on the stupidity of the '22 election.  The harder the GOPe cracks down on America Firsters, the more "kooks," as you call them, will win primaries.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Not really.  Those were basically the most educated, thoughtful guys in the entire Colonies.   In many cases, they were the establishment in the Colonies.

Online Kamaji

Not really.  Those were basically the most educated, thoughtful guys in the entire Colonies.   In many cases, they were the establishment in the Colonies.

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Seems like there is a bit of a double-standard here with regards to "outside interference" in GOP primary races.

Trump isn't neutral in congressional primary races, and tries to push his kind of candidates to win the GOP nomination.

So what is wrong with other GOP leaders trying to do the same for the candidates they support?

If it's okay for Trump to do it, then it's okay for McConnell, etc., to do it too.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:46:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Seems like there is a bit of a double-standard here.

Trump isn't neutral in congressional primary races, and tries to push his kind of candidates to win the GOP nomination.

So what is wrong about other GOP leaders trying to do the same for the candidates they support?

@Maj. Bill Martin

Nothing.

It's how "the game" is played.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

Nothing.

It's how "the game" is played.

Well then what was all that "we tell Washington what to do they don't tell us what to do", and "'the system' is inverted when DC selects candidates for the provinces vs people choosing for themselves."

I didn't hear you saying those things when Trump was endorsing Herschel Walker and Dr. Oz, only when McConnell does it.  Yet,now you say there is "nothing" wrong with it.

Offline cato potatoe

Total overreaction to a essential firewall.  The House and the presidency are tilting in favor of the dems.  If the party base nominates another crop of senate losers just to spite a few mossbacks in DC, you're going to see left wingers running everything in perpetuity.  That includes the supreme court.  The Buckley Standard is not your enemy.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McConnell has sworn a blood oath to destroy any candidates who are conservatives.  His boasts of killing the TEA Party are evidence of that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You say the silliest things; downright asinine sometimes. Our Founders were rabidly anti-establishment and took on the world's superpower to prove it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well then what was all that "we tell Washington what to do they don't tell us what to do", and "'the system' is inverted when DC selects candidates for the provinces vs people choosing for themselves."

I didn't hear you saying those things when Trump was endorsing Herschel Walker and Dr. Oz, only when McConnell does it.  Yet,now you say there is "nothing" wrong with it.

@Maj. Bill Martin

ESAD!

I don't even remember any  of that,and I will be DAMNED if I will waste my time looking it up to please you,or justifying my actions to you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:07:41 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You say the silliest things; downright asinine sometimes. Our Founders were rabidly anti-establishment and took on the world's superpower to prove it.

@Right_in_Virginia

Which  kinda proves they were the most educated and thoughtful men in the Colonies.

After all,who better to be revolutionary  leaders than educated and thoughtful people?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

What a load of CACA!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

:yowsa:  pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

McConnell has sworn a blood oath to destroy any candidates who are conservatives.  His boasts of killing the TEA Party are evidence of that.

Nope.

McConnell doesn't want to destroy all conservatives, but he is incredibly focused on messaging.  He thought the tea party was taking public positions that would alienate voters without producing conservative results, and he never supports that.

On the flip side, McConnell pushed through the most conservative tax bill in decades, and Machiavellied his way to the most conservative Supreme Court since the 1920's.

McConnell cares only about legislative results. He cares nothing about trying to shift the proverbial Overton window by talking symbolic positions that will end up losing.

I think he'd be a lousy Chief Executing, but he's an extremely good Congressional strategist.

Online roamer_1

*NOTHING* will change until MurderTurdle and the Republican Moderates are wrested away from the levers of power.

*mic drop*

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Total overreaction to a essential firewall.  The House and the presidency are tilting in favor of the dems.  If the party base nominates another crop of senate losers just to spite a few mossbacks in DC, you're going to see left wingers running everything in perpetuity.

Says the man with a color glossy of Lindsey Graham as his avatar  000hehehehe

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
*NOTHING* will change until MurderTurdle and the Republican Moderates are wrested away from the levers of power.

*mic drop*

:amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien