Author Topic: Surprise! Court Reveals the FBI's Abuse of FISA  (Read 203 times)

Offline Kamaji

Surprise! Court Reveals the FBI's Abuse of FISA
« on: July 22, 2023, 06:26:35 pm »
Surprise!  Court Reveals the FBI's Abuse of FISA

By Chris Queen
July 22, 2023

The news just keeps getting worse for the FBI. As the Biden administration is trying to sell Congress on renewing Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), a FISA court opinion released on Friday reveals that the FBI abused the act to spy on state and federal legislators — not to mention participants in the events of Jan. 6, 2021.

“FBI employees wrongly searched foreign surveillance data for the last names of a U.S. senator and a state senator, according to a court opinion released Friday,” reports the Associated Press.

“Another FBI employee improperly queried the Social Security number of a state judge who alleged civil rights violations by a municipal chief of police, according to the opinion by the chief judge of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court,” the report continues.

Section 702 of FISA gives the federal government some latitude when it comes to surveillance, and the Department of Justice insists that it’s necessary to allow the U.S. to spy on America’s enemies. But legislators from both parties have expressed concern over whether Section 702 gives the government too much power to spy on Americans.

“Section 702 permits the Attorney General and the DNI to jointly authorize, through certifications, the targeting of (i) non-U.S. persons (ii) who are reasonably believed to be located outside the United States (iii) to acquire foreign intelligence information,” explains the court’s opinion, which adds that “the FISC reviews the certifications and accompanying documents to ensure that they meet all the requirements of Section 702 and are consistent with the Fourth Amendment.”

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/columns/chris-queen/2023/07/22/court-reveals-the-fbis-abuse-of-fisa-n1712785

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Surprise! Court Reveals the FBI's Abuse of FISA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 06:43:56 pm »
Not another $.01!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien